Defensive Edge Adjustable Cheek Piece

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
What a slick item this one is! I have always been holding my head in the sand about the importance of proper cheek weld. But when Shawn's excellent article on Fitting The Long Range Rifle came out, I knew I had to do something. So...yesterday I installed my new adjustable cheek piece.

Some years back I had a rifle with McMillan stock with their adjustable cheek piece. At that time most of my long range hunting seemed to be from a deer stand shooting off a bench. As Shawn said in his article, cheek weld isn't as critical from the bench. In recent years all my hunting has been prone/bipod and it is important there.

Anyway, I never really used the feature and eventually I sold that gun. The McMillan version adds about 1.3 pounds, if I remember, and I do not want that much weight investment in my rig.

Shawn's Defensive Edge Adjustable Cheek Piece weighs just a few ounces and installs very easily. I installed it a little far forward to clear a sling swivel on the opposite side of the stock. So I will have to remove about 3/4 inches of its length for bolt removal.

I will be painting it to match my camo. This is my 3 month old coyote gun built by Jim See, Center Shot Rifles and he did the camo, too.

Also pictured is my new Huskemaw Scope. I am thrilled with it. You may have heard that I am now a dealer. Huskemaw Scopes - Buy Here

7831PS.jpg

7838PS.jpg

Shown above with the dust caps off. Also missing is the custom ballistic turret cap which I will order after calculating my drops. The use of a custom ballistic cap, of course, is optional. Some don't like them. I sure do.

To the left, you can see the range finding yardage ring (4, 5, 6, 7, 8). That works with the vertical windage hold-off hash marks on the horizontal reticle. There are 3 of them (1 moa apart), 1, 2 and 3 moa tall. If you hold the correct sized one up to cover the back-to-brisket...turning the yardage ring to get proper coverage...the resultant yardage is your range. That feature is comforting for a heavy rain or snow fall where most range finders don't work.

In the picture, I don't think you can quite make out the "zero index" on the top turret. It enables you to never make a mistake by being off one whole revolution on your yardage. Been there...done that. Nice whitetail buck missed in 2002 at 525 yards. I thought it was a chip shot, how could I miss him at that range? I killed him the next day after I figured it out.

I also have that feature on my Nightforce scope, which I also love, by the way. I have a Kenton Industries cap on it. These things are not that difficult to adapt for changing conditions. In SD this spring, I killed a rock at 900+ yards with this gun and my Kenton cap on top of a NF scope. The adjustments for conditions were simple, easier than using a chart when the same conditions changes had to be dealt with. I really think you will see the custom ballistic cap concept used more and more in the future.

Below is a picture of the Huskemaw version of a cap. You may notice the windage in moa is printed on the top row. No need to look to your chart. And since the clicks are in 1/3 moa, one full revolution is 20 moa. This means most long range loads get to 1,000 yards in only one revolution. Combined with very good glass and with all those other features it is a very good value.

lrh_3.jpg

Last edited:
Len, I would like to knw more about the Kenton caps. I have looked at thier web site. Very interesting. Can you offer more info?

Just how accurate are they?It is a great idea for hunting applications. I guess I looking for testimonials. The real world experiance is what convinces me.

It is just as accurate as a chart that you may have made up. And sooooooo much faster. Given that they are accurate, your next concern should be how to manage all the movement of an animal as you range, check chart, click, range again, check chart again, click again, ......

This is especially true when shooting big game without a partner (spotter).

I would not be without a custom turret cap, whether the one Huskemaw puts on their own scope, or the one I get from Mark Kenton for my Nightforce scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.