Deer hunt oct 5th Ely Nevada

ROGER FOSTER

I am a new hunter and have pulled a buck tag for units 221,222,223 in north Nevada.

Just got back from scouting for three days , a little disappointed in what I saw. Only a few small deers, mostly does. However I saw several herds of Elk, and Antelope but really not any deer. Looking for any information anyone has on the area. I will be leaving on the 3rd two days before the opening day to get ready for this hunt. If you have hunted this area I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I hunted Elk in that area a few years back..............saw a lot of nice bucks low in the sage and junipers. I hunted the area behind McGill sp? Don't be afraid to hunt low most guys go really high but in my experience bucks like solitude and the lack of hunters so they go to the places hunters don't go. Eveyone thinks that the big boys are up high not so, sure there will be but every year I hunted with a Muzzle loader I got my nice buck in the sage and junipers that were overshadowed by the high aspen mountains. Hunt Smart.
Six years ago I was talking to a guy down the street that had some really nice buck racks in his garage. He got all of them in area 7 north of elko, this is not your area but the point im making is that he got all of them in the low sage country that was showdowed by the high Jarbidge Mts........................
Bucks are where they want to be not where everyone tells you they should be.

G

Thanks a lot , you are right that is what a few people have told me and that's where we were scouting . Where all the Elk and Antelope that we saw ,was all down in the meadow!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.