Deer cull video

Here are some pictures showing the effect of Vmax on these deer. I've put the explicit pictures behind links as not to offend...
normal_Vmax_%286%29.jpg

link Vmax

Link Vmax

Link Vmax

Link Vmax

Hope this embroids a little more...

Last edited:
Hi Sierra22,

Excellent video there mate, well done - I enjoyed your video camera work/angles and editing, Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Wish we could use suppressors here...

Action: "Drops binos and gets to work!" Nice.

Cheers, CentreHit.

Hope you enjoy. Used my project rifle and made some decent long shots. Unfortunately, not captured on this camera, I have some problems processing MTS files with the program used for the blog entries.

Last edited:
I've shot deer at... well, very long. I will refrain from specifying as I undoubtedly will be flamed on other forums I used.

Thanks for the pics Sierra... great stuff!

This is the Long Range Hunting forum, so I would hope you wouldn't get flamed for shooting deer that are little bigger than rabbits at any distance, here.

Have you considered the 115 Berger VJD's? They have a good BC and should be able to get you out to 700 m or so if you can get 3000 fps out of your rifle with them.

I have a 25-06 that I consider a 800 yd rifle for deer & antelope shooting 110 and 115 bullets @ 3500 fps and 3400 fps. It is a sweet shooter.

Keep the vids and pics coming.

Cheers,

Mark

Again, great pictures, not only the video was real cool, but the pictures are very nice. Thanks for sharing. Keep them videos and pictures coming.

Thanks for the video and pics Sierra! That's must have taken some good time to edit and put together the video. Very enjoyable, thanks again!

To add to what one other said, this is Long Range Hunting, this is the place where you should have no issues posting the distances.

Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing the pics, great camera work and nice walkthrough.

Last edited:
Have you considered the 115 Berger VJD's? They have a good BC and should be able to get you out to 700 m or so if you can get 3000 fps out of your rifle with them.

I'm already shooting that distance with the Hornady 87gr Vmax ;) but as said I find it marginal - no error budget on windcalls basically. I'm frequently in the area of 20 when clicking for windage and I can't be more than 3 off before I start spoiling venison... not a good situation, so I try to shoot within an error budget of 5 which is achieved easily enough.

Have considered the Bergers very much but am more than sceptical with this bullet for roe allthough a friend has dropped a few with them. From shooting in wet paper they've learned that the Amax opens up immediately and the Berger is a little delayed (as advertised). My fear is that they could already be well through the animal if shot in the lungs...

As I needed a new twist (mine is 1:10") I decided to simply go with a different calibre alltogether. The smith had a 6,5 blank I got more or less free, so I went with the 6,5x47 with an option to rechamber to 6,5x284 if the cartridge can be fitted in the short action.

My present plan is to shoot the new Hornady 6,5mm 123gr Amax if I can get my hands on it, if not the 140gr Amax which I have in thousands.

There is a good chance next year will see me with my .280 shooting 162gr Amax. That one gives me a very good error budget.

Thanks for all the positive replies...

It's actually rather quick to put together these blogs, usually about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 min.
I simply upload all the films into Windows Moviemaker (a **** program, but free) and put them into a pre-saved blog frame.
Then I just cut, cut , cut away everything not interesting.
Put on the "fade in, fade out" effect.
Add titles.

The actual filming also requires very little work. All you see is filmed with a Canon G9 stillphoto (!) camera, there's nothing from the videocamera in the blogs. I simply set up the camera pointing in the general direction as the action unfolds... seems to work.

The only hassle is actually generating the willpower to take the camera out when you're busy not freezing or getting wet :D

As I needed a new twist (mine is 1:10") I decided to simply go with a different calibre alltogether. The smith had a 6,5 blank I got more or less free, so I went with the 6,5x47 with an option to rechamber to 6,5x284 if the cartridge can be fitted in the short action.

My present plan is to shoot the new Hornady 6,5mm 123gr Amax if I can get my hands on it, if not the 140gr Amax which I have in thousands.

There is a good chance next year will see me with my .280 shooting 162gr Amax. That one gives me a very good error budget.

The 6.5 is a great caliber and the .284 a great chambering. I have been considering one myself but with my 25-06, it's down the line in priority. Curious why you want the 123's before the 140's? It seems almost all the LR shooters like the 140 bullets. I would think the heavier/higher BC bullet would give you a better wind budget? The .280 is good too, but me thinks for your kind of shooting I would go with 65.x284. It is probably the most popular BR rifle here in the states. But I'm sure yoiu've got it all figured out eh.:)

Cheers...

Curious why you want the 123's before the 140's? It seems almost all the LR shooters like the 140 bullets.

Basically because the velocity/Bc amounts to about the same error budget for the ranges were I'll be doing most of my killing shots and I like the "extra violence" in the expansion the higher velocity gives... also with the slightly lessened recoil I am more often than not able to see the animal through all of the recoil and imperfections in my shooting position is not amplified to the same extent.

To be realistic, I'm expecting some trouble/delays in getting the 123gr Amax so will probably end up shooting the 140gr Amax anyway... :D

Very entertaining vid !

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Always enjoy seeing what our european brothers are doing.-Mike

I have to chime in here too. Great job sierra22! Nice shooting, videoing and editing. I like how the video starts out with you just waiting for the weather to clear. I thought that was funny!

I have a few questions:

1.) In the beginning, it looks like what I saw was a long wall to the right ride. Was that a wall?

2.) Looks like your shots were consistent; in the high part of the back just below the spine.

3.) Were you trying to place the bullet there to drop them?

Thanks,

iSnipe

1.) In the beginning, it looks like what I saw was a long wall to the right ride. Was that a wall?

2.) Looks like your shots were consistent; in the high part of the back just below the spine.

3.) Were you trying to place the bullet there to drop them?

iSnipe

1. Is it when it fogs up? Not a wall but a sheep fence. They are found all over the country either in the modern wire variation or old fashioned drywall stone fence.

2 and 3. Yes, high shoulder is where I shoot them and most bullets hit as it drops them on the spot. I really dislike searching for deer that ran. When the shots go bad the usually hit in the lungs or even a little further back going through the diaphrame smashing the liver etc and bursting the belly. Not very nice. Ocasionally a shot will go forward as well, but that breaks the neck very clean.

Glad you enjoyed!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.