deer ammo

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by hubee_7j, Nov 1, 2009.

1. hubee_7j

hubee_7j Active Member

Hi i was curious to see if anyone has used remington premeir match ammo in 168 gr BTHP for deer hunting and what their results were. i would also like to here results for Hornady custom 165gr BTSP for deer hunting. Im shootind 308 Win as well. Thanks

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

3. fireroad

fireroad Well-Known Member

+1 for sticking with hunting ammo for hunting. Match bullets are designed to fly with little thought or engineering as how they will perform once they hit/enter the final target. Match ammo may expand too quickly/not quick enough, fragment, fail to penetrate, etc. In my experience they often times act like frangible bullets on big game. Plenty of high BC/High SD hunting bullets out there, i would pick up some Sierra Game Kings in the same weight as your match bullets and go from there.

4. hubee_7j

hubee_7j Active Member

thanks for the input!

5. gei

gei Active Member

Have shot whitetail deer with 175 SMK in 308 win, they left silver dollar size exit holes, no deer ran over 40 yards so far.

6. mark caracci

mark caracci New Member

I shoot DRT tungsten cored 200 gr bullets. There is no exit and incredible terminal performance. Actually, in all the Mule Deer and Elk I've shot none have escaped. Yes I agree accuracy is vital, still, even the difficult shots (running animals) proved successful.

Mark