Dedicated Range Gun

7dawg9

I hope this is the correct place to post this, I'm new here.

Do any of you have a dedicated range rifle, one that you don't hunt with, but use for practice? I hunt with a Cooper 280, but am thinking of getting a basic 308 or even a 223 , set to the same trigger weight, same scope, to keep fundamentals intact. Whatta y'all say?

I am a big proponent of having lots of rifles. Ask my wife.

Shooting a variety of rifles is good for your form, helps you improve your technique, and is fun. That said, even with a similar trigger and optics set-up, each rifle will have its own nuances about how it shoots best. For sure the ranging, bullet drop, wind drift etc will be totally different between calibers.

So, work on your fundamentals and consistency with your "other" rifles (I made it plural as just one is clearly not enough) and when you start getting ready for hunting season get back behind your Cooper. Which, by the way, is a fine rifle.

I have 1 dedicated range, target, and tactical gun....But if I ever wanted to, I wouldn't have any issues shooting whitetails @ 800-1K yards.

It is my Remington 700 5R .308 Win. It only shoots handloads (unless I need some more Hornady brass for load development, I'll go shoot a box of factory laying around the safe...). But other than that it only goes to the range with me. It's the only dedicated range gun I've ever had. But I set it up with the intentions of still being functional as a long range sniper in a SHTF / WWIII / zombacalypse situation. Always gotta think ahead and be prepared. :D

I have 1 dedicated range, target, and tactical gun....But if I ever wanted to, I wouldn't have any issues shooting whitetails @ 800-1K yards.

It is my Remington 700 5R .308 Win. It only shoots handloads (unless I need some more Hornady brass for load development, I'll go shoot a box of factory laying around the safe...). But other than that it only goes to the range with me. It's the only dedicated range gun I've ever had. But I set it up with the intentions of still being functional as a long range sniper in a SHTF / WWIII / zombacalypse situation. Always gotta think ahead and be prepared. :D

MudRunner, don't want to sound stupid but what is a 700 5R

When Remington has an over-run of M24 barrels, they put some on their stainless 700 actions, machine everything to very tight Mil-Spec tolerances, put it all in an HS Precision stock with a full aluminum bed block, and created a "speciality" model called the 5R Mil-Spec. Some people claim that they are the barrels that didn't make the cut for the M24's, but the way my gun shoots, I know that has to be bullcrap. The barrels are stainless steel M24/Mil contour, and have been rifled with the Boots Obermeyer patented 5R rifling, at specific twist rates. For example, the .308 Win uses an 11.25" twist instead of the standard 12" twist. So, now you can see where they get their name from.

823f4179.jpg

6d7a8849.jpg

17175685.jpg

ef1a4e8d.jpg

And they will flat-out shoot! Here's a 12" target that I shot a 24-shot group @ 100 yards.

2AB4E683-A2EA-491A-93A0-D6A4B695D38F-545-000000D5F11489CB.jpg

E04F0BEA-4992-48B5-A832-455D460D1A4F-545-000000D6DDDB7663.jpg

I've been thinking about turning my youth model 243win into a more of a dedicated range gun/varmint rifle. It needs a longer barrel and longer LOP stock so it will fit me again.

7Dawg- my dedicated range gun is quite different from my light hunting rifles. range gun is 16 pounds , remington 700 - has a 28.3 inch krieger barrel , shilen trigger and is chambered in 6.5-284 is shoots less than a .5 moa all the way out. my light hunting rifle is a 300saum 700ti at 5.9 pound plus a light 1" 5-15x40 scope. total weight less than 7. i can tell when it goes off. the weight of the range gun makes up for certain mistakes in form and/or consistency.

I built a 6mmbr for my plinker. Very accurate, long barrel life, case life, and not much powder. I shoot 70 Nolser BT's with it. It is a very fun gun to shoot with low recoil. 25" match barrel on a trued rem 700 in a pillar bedded wood stock. I just put a Vortex Viper 6.5-20-50 and I have come ups to 1100 yards with this setup.
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.