Decoys - Hen or Tom and describe your setup

I have used both hen and tom decoys in various poses from full strut to half strut and even breeding postures. Too many times when using decoys though the big gobbelers hang up as soon as they see the decoys expecting the hen to come to them. After years hunting with decoys I prefer to hunt without them and call only. This seems to keep the gobbler looking and coming. My last 6 birds have fallen for it without hanging up or leaving. I'm starting to think decoys are to relieve hunters of weight in there pockets and give TV personalities a sponsor.
My .02 Skip

I have taken Toms both with and without decoys. Until last year, I had used hens with or without a jake decoy. Last year I bought a Primos B-Mobile strutting Tom and used a real tail fan.
I called in this Tom off the roost at 6:15 AM opening morning. He strutted in past both hens and went straight to the Tom decoy. He brushed up against it 3 times and I had to wait for him to clear the decoy to take the shot. I also helped my buddy get a Tom but he shot it on the way in so we didn't get to see the show. Looking forward to Act II this season.
JDTurkey050707.jpg

Note: Disregard the date stamp on the photo, operator error on the camera. It needs BIGGER PRINT!
MI opening day for late season was 05/07/07.
JD338

Last edited:
I use a bobble-head hen decoy, and just set it up to where she's lookin at where ever my set is, that way a tom has to get in between us to "get her attention" works pretty good.

Len,
You often start these sort of threads when you are looking for new products for your LRH store.lightbulb The David Smith decoys are incredible. I bought the DSD flock and mix up the use of jakes, hens, breeders and now they have a tom. This always gives me the opportunity to change the"look" of my set up. The Jake and Tom either work or don't work. Not much in between. But when they work it is very entertaining as these videos we took show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.