Decisions on re-barrel?

chain

I have a savage 300 win with almost 1900 rds thru it. It still shoots good but I have an elkhunt planned next fall and I don't want to panic if accuracy falls off next year.

Should I re-barrel? I am getting mixed advice

Should I have a brake installed ? I have shot it to this point without a brake, it isn't the felt recoil, I would like to see my shots impact. I also shoot prone alot. I am also thinking there is no better time to brake than when you re-barrel. Thanks Guys

Anxiety can do terrible things to accuracy.

It sounds as though you would be racked with the constant fear that your next shot might be the first in a steady decline in accuracy. If that's the case, go ahead and rebarrel.

Does your anxiety have any basis in reality? are you beginning to see your 'pet load' accuracy deteriorate?

The time to put a brake on the rifle is when you rebarrel.

Re barrel and stop thinking about it. Elk hunts are expensive for us non residents, I would not leave anything to chance.

Brakes are nice make sure you pick the right one. I have a CSR on my 300WSM Kevin Cram instaled it and it works great. The Brake I have on my 300 win mag is a clamp on clam style and I thought it was good to go until I saw how efficnt the CSR brake was in comparison.

Nothing has deteriorated yet. I was thinking of the Vais brake, because I have erad that they aren't that loud. But I do shoot prone alot, so I don't know about it. Where can I get info on the CSR brake? I am concerned about outfitters and horses, when it comes to rifles w/brakes. Thank you

Nothing has deteriorated yet. I was thinking of the Vais brake, because I have erad that they aren't that loud. But I do shoot prone alot, so I don't know about it. Where can I get info on the CSR brake? I am concerned about outfitters and horses, when it comes to rifles w/brakes. Thank you

If you shoot the rifle prone a lot, consider a brake with no vents/holes on the bottom. I have a Vais brake on one of my 260 and when shooting prone, I have to remember to put a towel under the muzzle. This keeps it from blowing brush all over me and the guy next to me.

The next rifle that had a brake installed was my 300RUM. Its brake (a Williams of some sort) has holes on top and vents in the side. Since it has no holes in the bottom, it doesn't blow brush around as much as the 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.