decisions decisions

dennis

I am in the process of ordering a pistol from kirby and would like some help deciding what to get. I will be shooting whitetails in wisconsin at 200-500 yards so far i thought i had it nailed down to the 6.5 wsm but i dont want to load my own ammo. Is there a decent place i can buy handloads? I would also like some opinions on what scope i should put on it.

I am in the process of ordering a pistol from kirby and would like some help deciding what to get. I will be shooting whitetails in wisconsin at 200-500 yards so far i thought i had it nailed down to the 6.5 wsm but i dont want to load my own ammo. Is there a decent place i can buy handloads? I would also like some opinions on what scope i should put on it.

Dennis,
Have you owned a specialty handgun before?
Have used a long-eye-relief scope before?

Factory cartridges that come to mind:
6.5-284 (unsure if you can get loaded ammo from Black Hills or others)?
284 Win
25-06
264 Win Mag
270 WSM
7WSM
7 Rem Mag
300 WSM

Cartridges based off of the 284 Win case or the WSM's will work better in an XP. While at the same time, Kirby built a 7mm Dakota for me in an XP:eek::D

i have a tc encore with a leupold 2.5 by 8

i need something more accurate and i would like something that will lay in a shooting bag like a xp 100r

To Reload Or Not

First things first if you go with the XP-100r your limited to either keeping the factory stock or getting one from Joel Russo in laminate. The factory stock is nice you just can't go to big with your barrel. As far as the chambering goes If I were to go with a factory round I would go with one of the WSM or SAUM choice's. I know over on Specialty Pistol dodgydoug58 is having Kirby build a 100r in 7mm SAUM with Joel's Stock, I would try and get with him or ask Kirby about it. I know Mark Hampton has done alot with both factory and wildcat round's he's also on this forum maybe he'll chime in. If it were me I'd go wildcat I'm shooting a center grip in 7.21 Lazzeroni it shoot's 168gr Bergers at 2850 and at 300 yd's it shoot's 3 shot's less than an inch, my second centergrip just shipped out yesterday to be customized by Greg Tanel in 300 Dakota so the waiting begin's. I unlike XPHunter shoot at this time pistol scopes the 3x12`Burris I can't decide what I'll do on the Dakota just yet, I would like to try a rifle scope but just hadn't tried it yet. The one thing about Custom gun's whether long or short there's enough decision's sometime's to make you pull your hair out, I just happen to like all that goes into it to get it done.

Dennis,

Just my 2 cents worth: If you have any buddies that reload, I'm sure you could talk them into reloading the 6.5 WSM. The XP that Kirby built for me in this cartridge is among my favorite for long range hunting. It is capable of handling the chore you desire---deer hunting from 200--500 yards. I have been using 120 Nosler BTs. Hornady 129 SST would be a good choice also. Haven't had a chance to experiment with the 130 Accubonds but will do so in the near future.

The 284 is another good choice, as Ernie mentioned. However, this round needs to be handloaded to get optimum performance.

If you just had to purchase factory rounds I believe someone is manufacturing 6.5 x 284 ammo. Another 6.5 caliber that is ideal for your purpose. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure this loaded ammo would be fairly expensive.

I have been shooting a 308 Winchester for many years. Please don't yawn. I know it's garden-variety, plain Jane, and vanila simple but it is an effective deer hunting cartridge. While I have never shot anything at 500 yards with it, I have taken countless whitetail and a bunch of other game in Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America. Only reason I made that last statement was to emphasize a point; it works, and it does so in handgun length barrels. There is also a ton of ammo available for the non-reloader. Admittedly, this may not be your best choice for a 500 yard shot compared to the others mentioned.

Lastly, the Burris 3x-12x would be a good choice for a handgun scope. Good luck and have fun.

Alot of great answers and suggestions from everyone. TO get the most out of the SP's handloading would be the best route but there are several cartridges out there that will fill the bill. Mark's suggestion for the 308 is right on the money there is a reason it is used in a lot of competitions, law enforcement and the military. It is super accurate at all ranges and it is available just about everywhere. I bought my first 308 from Mark and the first big game animal I took with it was an Oryx (elk sized critter) in NM. the shot was over 200 yds and dropped in it's tracks. During the next couple of years I used that SP to win several dollars from other shooters at the local range by nailing the steel plate at 500yds. No probelm with steel at that yardage. I liked that gun so well I ordered another one in the 308 caliber. Still have both of them and shoot them quite a bit. With some of the hotter 308 factory rounds out I wouldn't hesitate to take a 400-500 yds shot if the animal was positioned broadside. I have several other calibers that will more than do the job at that yardage and further, but would not trade my 308's for anything else on the market.
As far as scopes I have the 3x12 Burris on all of my guns but will be trying a couple of rifle scopes after the holidays.
Good luck with your purchase and enjoy shooting the SP"s, It is a rush to take game at the extended ranges.
nmhunter

Last edited:
Get a good Brake: Holland or Defensive Edge
I do still use LER scopes on SP's but am using 3 rifle scopes also on SP's.
Burris 3-12 LER with BP and turrets.
Dennis,
Do you use reticles or turret twisting for distance shots (both?)?

I really concur with Mark's suggestion about freinds who reload.
Is that a possibility?
From the 308 Win family my two favorites for your situation would be the 260 rem & the 7mm-08. I don't keep up with factory data on anything so I am not sure. These 2 will do it at your max range, but I would put them in the marginal arena. FWIW I wouldn't choose it for a 500 yard deer rig in a SP.

right now i dont use either one because i dont shoot any further than 350 and i have it zeroed at 250. i think i would like the reticle rifle scope. i would really like to get the 6.5 wsm as it sounds from everyone that it would be best. there must be someplace i can buy loads for this isnt there? the 100r is not what i would use i just liked the way it laid in the shooting bag. any opinions on the rear grip instead of the center? i think the center would be better once you get that heavy barrel on it but stock from the factory i thought the 100r sat very still in a long shooting bag.

7mm Rem Saum

Hi I would look at the Remington 7mm SAUM it is a great cartridge and with 140gr projectiles it is sure to do the job + more. I have a 7mm Saum on a Rem model7 nwith a 22" barrel and it has verry little recoil it actualy had les recoil than my 20" barreled magnaported 308 before I fitted the muzzle break. fit a 18" barrel and you could fire factory ammo or a friend could reload for you and you will probably get twice the barrel life than a 6.5WSM.

Cheers Bill
Australia

The 7mm Saum & 7 WSM ( and the other WSM's - 270 & 300) will allow you to use factory ammo.
Personally for the ease of it all (factory ammo) & caliber preference I would go with a 27, 7mm or 30 cal to meet your goals. I would lean to the 27 or 7mm over the 30, but the 30 will get there just fine.

Rear and center grip stocks come as a matter of preference.
Most of mine are center-grip.
Rear grips allow you to use regular rifle triggers which include lighter pulls if so desired (possible magazine for a follow up shots) and a slightly faster locktime. Center-grips allow a better balance and when using a riflescope it is easier to get closer to the ocular.
Joel Russo can get you a center-grip & I think a rear-grip in one of his laminated stocks. He can give you just about any type of forend you want. McMillan & H-S makes center grip stocks as well which are very good.

I would go on-line and check out bullet options (weights/types) with the SAUM & WSM cartridges.
OR
Since you are considering spending this much money to build a LR specialty handgun, why not learn to reload while you are waiting for it to be built (even if you choose a factory cartridge):D

ok here is what i am thinking after all of your input

i think i will either learn to load my own if it is no big deal or i will buy them from someone so i can stick with the 6.5 wsm (len seemed to think that in wisconsin i would be happiest with this) and i think i will get 1 with the center stock and a rifle scope with reticles and 1 with a rear grip stock and a pistol scope then i will see what i like best and sell the other.

what do you guys think about that plan? am i missing anything?

If you don't reload I would go with something easier to learn to reload. A 6.5 WSM will require you to neck it down and stuff, a 7mm WSM is "almost" the same, easier to load for, plus if you don't want to reload you can buy factory. Or even a 264 Magnum, that would be a 6.5 you might be able to find ammo for.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I hunt in an area like Len and can only use a pistol,muzzleloader or shotgun and i have been trying to figure out how to get a 350 yard slam dunk gun. I looked at the smokeless muzzleloaders and countless pistols and many many websites. I learned more from this group in a very short amount of time than from all the others combined.I feel I am on my way to getting where i want to go.

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.