Decision between two stocks... Need help.

Oliveralan

I have a bit of a problem. I am building a new rifle off my savage M116 LH action. And I want a vertical palm swell tactical style stock. Stockade has one, but rather expensive. What downsides would there be to buying a laminate, then painting it? As I don't like the look of laminate stocks, and can't afford the wood stocks I do like.

I was thinking to get one then have it hydodipped, probably spray on a base layer/sealer first.

Any idea how I can make a laminate stock tough like a synthetic (scratch resistant, water proof and not look like laminate?

Thanks,
Oliver

What I do is auto body filler, Bondo, easy to work with easy to sand and shape. Seems to hold up very well.

Then follow the same process as do the body shop fellas.

Fill/sand/fill/sand/fill sand and on and on until as smooth and uniform as a new baby's butt.

Then prime and paint with whatever paint type, color(s) you desire. If you're careful and pay attention to detail you'll get an auto show quality finish.

My favorite paint is the acrylics that the artists use. Easy to use. Long lasting. Easy to remove when you get the urge for another scheme. Works on metal also. And leaves no residue on the scope when removed for the next idea.

If you want to take the wood grain texture out of a laminate stock Duracoat makes a product called durafill that works well. I've used in on a Taurus 1911 to take the billboard advertising off the slide and it was great. I think it's similar to spray on polyester fill that the car guys use, but I'm not positive about that. MidwayUSA sells it.

The other option is to look a Choate's Tactical stock. It's not as heavy as their Ultimate Sniper, of course my Ford F150 isn't as heavy as that one, and it does a pretty good job for less than $200. They make them to filt almost all Savages but you'll have to check with them about a long action left handed one. Google Choate gun stocks and it should take you to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.