deciding on rifle options? Sendero. savage build. 7mm or 7mm stw,rum

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by DIDYSIS, May 31, 2011.

1. DIDYSIS

DIDYSIS Member

So I have a savage 300wm love the rifle but really like the bullet coefficientness of the 7mm bullet plus they do have as much or more energy at 1000 yards. I have been very good at over 500 yards with this rifle.
    First do I go with a standard 7mm or one of it bigger brothers.
    Second do I buy a glitery nice remington sendero or build a bull barrel setup on what I have now. Seems cost prob about the same as a new stock and barrel would be needed.
    I don't want to put a muzzle break on it at all. The 300 does not bother me unless I shoot it allot. I know a heavier rifle will cut down the kick.
    I target shoot a good amount. I hunt mule deer and trying to get into elk. Just didn't get a tag yet this year. As with target shootig long distance I want to make sure the bullet will be good out to 1000. Yards. Ya I know isn't going to happen prob at all since most deer are shot around 200. But I want to make sure I can if I get the chance.
    I shot a 7mm sendero which was amazing and figure it will give me over 1000ft/lb of energy at 1000.yards with a Berger 168 or 180. Then I can shoot amax162 or sierra match kings 180gr for play.
    Yes the 7stw looks great but at more cost of shooting and really more power more kick.
    Guess I could start with the regular 7mm then see what I decide latter. Also no point at destroying good eating food. I shot a little deer with the 300 this year and he was almost gone with the 165gr hornady SST bullet I used. I would recomend that bullet to anyone. They are amazing.

2. DIDYSIS

DIDYSIS Member

Well none replied decided forget the 7stw what for 100 fps and about 40lb of energy ya right forget it.

3. streetglideok

streetglideok Well-Known Member

From various sources that Ive read, the 7mmSTW will just about match the 7mm RUM. Either way, they like to burn out barrels. If it was me, I would look at the 300RUM, and rebarrel the savage. At least you know what you have then. Buying a Sendero doesnt mean it will shoot good. It might, but then again it may shoot average.

4. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago. I decided to go with the Savage 111 in 7mmrm. I put a McGowan 26' stainless varmint contour barrel on it. I shoot 168g SMKs at 3000fps. The gun is really accurate. I have shot out to 1033 yards with it and did well. At 400-615yards the gun is awesome. The added weight of the match barrel reduces the recoil very nicely. Kicks nothing like a 300WM. I would compare it to my son's Rem 700 in .243!!! I did not want a muzzle brake either, and this gun doesn't need one. If I were in your shoes, and I have been, I just couldn't justify the STW. The way I saw it, if I were going to step up to a STW, then I might as well get a .30 cal or a .338 and put a brake on it and have a cannon. Good luck with your project.
    Steve