Decapping .375 CheyTac as separate step

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DanGuy48, Mar 8, 2013.

1. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Active Member

Like the title says, I've decided I want to remove the primer as a separate step, not part of the resizing. I've not seen any tool for this, off-the-shelf hand tool or die. So I've decided to just drill a hole in my bench and fit a shell holder and punch it out that way. Before I do that, I just want to check here to see if anyone knows something I missed. This cartridge is unusually fat since it's almost identical to the .505 Gibbs. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

I dont know what dies your using but if you could thread your de-capping rod into your bullet seating die you could achieve this with your press. Hitting a de-capping rod isnt recommended since the de-capping pin is usually carbide and can be brittle.

3. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Active Member

Hmmm, my seating die won't work but maybe I could do the next best thing and get an inexpensive neck resizing die in .408 CheyTac and use it just for decapping.

4. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

I have de-primed my .408 based wildcats both ways, and actually prefer doing it in a single step just the way you mentioned. There's nothing wrong with doing it by hand, and it will actually allow you to keep tabs on the primer pocket before taking the other steps to re-size and anneal... I do not drag the size button through the necks either...

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Yall do know RCBS makes universal depriming and decapping dies, right? They offer 2 different ones. They are .22-.25 cal & .27-.45 caliber. I have both and they work like a champ. I always deprime my brass before cleaning them, as a seperate step. It is always the first step I do, then I sonic clean, then tumble & polish, then reload. I find depriming first helps clean up the primer pockets alot better.

6. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Don't think they'll work with the .408/.505 Gibbs case...

7. BaconFat

BaconFat Active Member

Redding has a large Universal Decapping die for 284 to 50 caliber cases with maximum case length of 3".

8. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Active Member

Yeah, I've got one brand new one, unused, if you want it. I thought the .50 might have been BMG .50 but apparently not. The CheyTac cartridge won't fit up into it. BTW, like the screen name. LOL.

9. BaconFat

BaconFat Active Member

Hey, we could meet at Brewer's Alley and chew the fat. J/K :D

10. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Active Member

Yeah, I'm 10-15 minutes from there. How do you know Frederick, your info says you're in NJ?

11. BaconFat

BaconFat Active Member

I spent six months in DC back in 2006 and wandered up to Frederick a few times. Seemed like a nice place to live.

12. drbill

drbill Well-Known Member

I have an arbor press that I use to push the primer out with an expanding/decapping rod from a 7RM die. I use a metal "cap" with a hole in it and I place the 375 brass on top of this. I also use this setup to decap military crimped 50s.