Debris in Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rwintuc, Jul 6, 2009.

1. rwintuc

rwintuc Member

Has anyone ever found Debris in a fired cartidge?

I bought some PPU in .22-250 to shoot for brass. during my reloading I hit somthing while depriming a case. Took it out of the press and shook the case. It rattled. It was Metalic and appeared to have been in the case when it was fired the first time. Luckly it stayed in the case. I could not get the shard out with out cutting the top off the case. 1 pc out of 500.

Wondering if it was part of the primer I checked the flashhole...normal size.

Is this a problem I should be aware of when buying certian kinds of ammo?lightbulb

2. Katbird

Katbird Member

More than likely, there was a "trap door" of brass covering the flash hole that didn't get punched out all the way when the case was manufactured. That is what your decapping rod hit.

3. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I found a curly cue piece of brass inside a new brass casing once before. I was weighing brass cases and this case weighed heavier than the rest. I looked inside with a flashlight and saw the debris. It looked like a shaving from a drill bit. I was able to remove it through the case neck without difficulty. None of the other brass had any debris in them. I checked after seeing the one.