Dead Coyote Loads and Choke

WV Sendero

Anyone used the Dead Coyote 3.5" 12ga ammo? How did it kill/pattern? What is the effective range? I also saw that they had a Dead Coyote choke out now. The choke is listed on Midway as having a constriction of .666" in the Invector Plus. Is that not a little tight for the 00 buck, #4 buck, and T sizes their ammo is available in?

I have not used any of the Hevi-Shot DC loads in 3-1/2" shells but I have shot quite a few 3" T shot Dead Coyote loads and the Rem HD Predator T shot and Rem HD Waterfowl BB loads.

They all pattern very tight. I was using a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke and switched to a Imp/Mod choke because the pattern was so small with the Dead Coyote choke.

I am not worried about killing coyotes at 60 yards, I just want to be able to hit the ones that are under 40 yards away.

With the heavier than lead loads even a modified choke will give a pretty tight pattern.

DAB knows what he's talking about. I just started trying to get up to speed with the shotgun for coyotes but what I've read about the Dead Coyote shells is that most of what you gain is recoil over the 3". Three inch T shot has done well out to 60 yards or so on the few coyotes I've taken using the DC choke and DC shells. Forty yard patterns were predominantly in a 12" wide by 18" high area out of my 11-87. Hope this helps.

Regular rem factory choke with the dead coyote loads works great out of my 870, can't say what the patterns are at past about 40yd but, at that distance they're paper plate size and will deff get the job done. The only one i've killed with that load was 52 steps away, straight on and i aimed at the base of his neck i didn't even bother to skin this one the results were impressive to say the least. Rem now offers t-shot in a 2-3/4" home defense round haven't patterned them yet but if its anything like the other minus the nose breaking recoil they'll be the ticket for up close and personal coyotes.

I shot the 3" with the choke at 50 yards and it destroyed a gallon jug of water!!! They work pretty good!!! Hopefully I can test it on a coyote this weekend!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.