De-burr Lapua flash hole?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GunsmokeNC, Mar 15, 2007.

1. GunsmokeNC

GunsmokeNC Member

I've heard Lapua makes some top notch brass. I have 100 new 223 cases. Should I de-burr the flash holes, or does Lapua already do that?

2. Maico

Maico Well-Known Member

From what I've read the Lapua brass does not need to be deburred. Only a couple of guys said yea...but only a light cut. The flash holes are drilled instead of being punched ere the burr inside. Good Luck on the 223.

3. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

Do they need deburred?

The last batch of 223 I got form them was the best brass I have ever seen. Flashhole condition and weight spread.

Recent 6.5x47 and 6mmbr have needed a touch on the FH to remove a small bur. They know about this problem and have hopefully remedied the problem.

JB

4. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

The flashholes are drilled instead of punched like most commerical brass we deal with. as such there is much less likelihood that there will be inconsitant burrs on the inside of the flash hole.

Thats said, anyone that has drilled a hole before knows that it is not uncommon to see small burrs on the exit side of the drill bit.

Running the deburring tool in the FHs will remove this very quickly. It is needed, in most cases with the Lapua cases any burrs that are there are very consistant anyway. So removing them is really not a huge deal.

Kirby Allen(50)

5. jb1000br

[ QUOTE ]
    The flashholes are drilled instead of punched like most commerical brass we deal with. as such there is much less likelihood that there will be inconsitant burrs on the inside of the flash hole.

Thats said, anyone that has drilled a hole before knows that it is not uncommon to see small burrs on the exit side of the drill bit.

Running the deburring tool in the FHs will remove this very quickly. It is needed, in most cases with the Lapua cases any burrs that are there are very consistant anyway. So removing them is really not a huge deal.

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby, actually they are neither drilled, nor punched.

JB

6. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

What are they?

Kirby Allen(50)

7. jb1000br

Formed around a mandrel IIRC...pretty apparent with the new lots of 6.5x47 brass I have...can see something is "off-centre" in the process...and has left a half-moon shaped bur...

Lapua knows this, and tells me they are trying to fix it...haven't heard back since then.

I have another email in to them to get details.

JB

8. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

I have worn myself out looking down case mouths with a bright light trying to find something wrong Lapua flash holes .

I have around 500 300 win mag Lapua brass and that many 243 as well .................very boring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I realize that is not that much brass but Hey !! it is a pretty good sample .

I too am guilty of accepting the popular notion that their brass is drilled . Only thing is I was wondering how they did it without not having a drill burr every once in a while . That ass... uming thing will bite you every time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks JB for the heads up .

Personally I dont think that Lapua brass needs anything done to it other than trimming after the initial fireforming.

Jim B.

9. 7mmRHB

7mmRHB Well-Known Member

Jimm, JBs right about the flash holes on some lots of Lapua brass.I've had the little 3/4 moon looking flash holes on 6.5-284 and 6br brass more than a few times.It looks like the brass flows over the end of the flash hole mandrel a bit when they form it. I can also say that I've never seen that problem with the Lapua 300 win. mag or 243 win. brass. (yet) --- RHB

10. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

7mmrhb,

I know that you guys are right about those cases you are using . I have just not seen it in the calibers I was referring to . That dont mean much though cause it is only a small sample of what is out there .

I think JB is a great source of info . He wants ( in my estimation ) what we all do .............the solid dope / info .

I have no interest in pushing a personal agenda of my teeny tiny understanding of long range shooting and the exterior ballistics thereby inviolved . Just want to learn and apply!

BTW 7mmrhb , I didn't think you were being negative in any way , just spitting out some thoughts that occurred to me as I was posting .

later , Jim B