Day pack for elk hunt?

I just run the pinnacle fanny and water bladdder,it is light.If I am stretching out or hot season bow I have meat duffle stowed,not that heavy.The main fanny detaches also and I can just basic run hip belt,that has my lrf,gps radio,binos hang on QD off shoulder straps.

Does anyone use a regular backpacking pack for hunting? I have tried on quite a few packs that are marketed towards hunting and I just don't like the way they fit.

Yes, I use a Gregory Palisades. Got it back in 2007 because I was tired of using a squeaky external frame pack. And I have packed out everything from antelope to elk and it works great. And several of my friends use backpacking packs of various brands including the cheaper REI brand packs. Nobody has an real complaints.

I think I would like one of the new fancy hunting specific packs, but I just can't justify the cost considering there is really nothing wrong with what I've got.

I use a day pack made by kifaru, it is a very good day pack and is capable of carrying meat also. I still use this pack and has served me well for years. I did break down and buy a bull pack for carrying out meat. The bull pack is a very comfortable (more so than the kifaru) meat pack.

I have penny for all of your thoughts on a Eberlestock X2 as a daypack and a first trip out after the kill pack? I've been thinking this could be a great tool.

As a backpacker I can say that the Eberlestock rifle scabbard packs, the Just One in particular, are exactly what a hunter needs. Hands are free but the rifle is quick to come out.

I always backpack with two telescoping aluminum hiking poles. They assist me on climbs, stream crossings and save my knees on long downhills.
PLUS I can cross the pole straps and have an adjustable bipod very quickly.

But I can only use the hiking poles if my rifle is on my pack. So far I've used my Camelbak Commander backcountry ski pack for this, with the rifle strapped to the back. But a Just One is coming soon.

The Just one opens to hold at least one quarter of a deer or your emergency/overnight camping gear, your choice. This versatility is what I love about the pack.

On the con side all Eberlestock packs are so overbuilt that they run about 2 to 3 lbs. overweight. That's 2 to 3 lbs. of gear you must leave behind.

I use the Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 for day and weekend trips. Excellent quality in both their design and build. I use two additional Eberlestock 2 liter attachment bags mounted on each side to provide additional storage for MRE's and filtration gear. Overall it provides me with enough space for my rifle, equipment, additional clothing and shelter.

After much thought, I'm going with an Eberlestock X2 pack instead of the X1. It has a little more room and great lashing system. I'll have to buy one of their scabbards and attach it. Easy enough.

I agree with BIGGS regarding the Eberlestock Just One pack.
As a longtime backpacker I have examined a LOT of huntiing backpacks including the Just one and its brother the Dragonfly. Because the Just One is lighter than the Dragonfly and is almost the same design I chose it.

Becker's post on using the 1 liter pockets on each side is an excellent idea. When backpacking (othr than hunting) I always add two side pockets for gear I need to get to right away like a potty kit, water treatment kit, 1st aid kit, coking gear, etc. I can expand my pack's capacity by 800 cu. in. with two side pockets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.