Dave King style hunting trip

John M

This was a 7mm Dakota cartridge with the Cauterucio 156 grain bullet starting out at 3,3350 fps. Bob uses a 30 caliber Matchking jacket to make this bullet. Pretty effective. The buck ran only about 10 yards when hit.

Len, I was hoping you would say that!

I just loaded up the 156 cauterucio's for my STW. I shot my mulie and lope in October in Casper, WY with my STW and the 140 Barnes XLC's. It dropped them in their tracks, but accuracy was terrible.

I haven't shot any game with the Cauterucio's, but accuracy has been sub 1/2" on paper. I'm going to try them out here Monday or Tuesday on some whitetail. I have a cornfield I'm going to set up on where shots will be between 200 to 300 yards.

Can't Wait!

Is your 7mm Dakota still have a 7 twist?

John M

No, I still have the 7 twist rifle in 7D but this newer rifle on a Nesika Bay action has a 9 twist. I am changing it to a barrel with 8 twist, though, so I can stabilize Bob's longer 176 grain bullets.

John M

I have been unable to test the BC because my chronograph is down. If you call Bob he can give you an accurate number. His figure of .750 on the 176 was right on when I tested it.

Len, when I spoke to Bob he said the 750 BC on the 176 was tested by Obermeyer. The 615 BC of the 156 was his estimate. I'm going to test so I'll know soon enough.

I wanted to use the 176, but Bob said my 9 twist was better suited to the 156.

I don't know if Bob told you the story of how the design of this bullet came about, but it is as great story.

Len, did you ever test the BC of the 156?

Man, I wish bob made a 338 bullet for my lapua.

John M

My Oehler chrono is working today. I'd say Bob's figure of .615 for the 156 is very close.

Never heard the story. Can you tell us?

Sure Len, Once upon a time.....LOL

Bob said these bullets originally were not hollow points. The silhouette shooters loved them but they were going through the steel and there were complaints.
Bob, redesigned them as hollow points and he said they stopped going through steel....they also became an excellent hunting bullet.

Funny thing is that Bob isn't even a hunter but he did say a lot of guys use them on game.

You have all these bullet companies trying to build a better mouse trap and this guy does it by accident.

One hour to get your deer huh! What took you so long!! All kidding aside, good job. Get some sleep now.

Len,
Nice buck and great weekend. I was in the same area over the weekend where a friend of mine has a buck tag. He passed a similar buck because he is holding out for a big whitetail. He has killed a few 30" plus mulies, but has never killed a whitetail buck.

Hope I don't make anyone mad by this, but here is a Colorado joke that probably could apply in every other state:
Why is it so windy in Colorado? Because Kansas sucks and Utah blows.

Back to the top!

I was just watching TV while I figured out something on my computer ballistic program and North American Whitetail is on. They were hunting with the same outfitter I used on this hunt. By the way, my deer just came back from the taxidermist a couple weeks ago. It gross scored 172.

I am surprised to see that I forgot to give Tom Tietz a mention last December at the beginning of this thread. Tom has some amazing mule deer and whitetail leases.

So here it is:

Tom Tietz and Natural Adventures

[ 10-17-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.