Dave King , need a Duracoat update

James Jones

Hey dave or anybody that hase used the Duracoat system I was wondering how well the finish has held up after it got fully cured?

Is it worth the hassel for the metal on the guns for should it just the metal just be done with Teflon or Gunkote?

My Duracoat stuff is still doing real well. The only thing that shows wear is the Benchmade knife I use daily, the Duracoat near the serrations has worn off a little bit but that is mostly due to me cutting rib and sternum bones on a few deer.

I like it and will use it in preference to GunCoat.

Bear in mind that I also used an abrasive blaster with white aluminum oxide media in prep.

I believe I used that suggested at the LCW site... maybe 120 (comes to mind). I did get the WHITE and not the natural so as to eliminate any impurities.

Get a few syringes to do the measuring for the mix.

Figure well ahead of time how to hold the pieces for drying.

Let the stuff dry for 24 hours or so before putting things together.

Do the painting in a well lighted area to better see for a better/even finish.

Wear latex gloves (the no talcum powder model).

It's addictive, blast up some other stuff to Duracoat: carabiners, knives, brush pruners (sniper stuff), Harris bipod, tripod, sling swivels & studs, 4" Cresent wrench, small pliers, torque wrench, ????

Dave,
Did you use the starter kit with the areo propellant or can you by a kit that will allow you to use an air compressor?

Thanks for your feedback. I have been wanting to do this for a while and am ready to go in full bore.

Mike

Does the duracoat start to shine when the gun gets handled alot?
I have painted a couple of guns w/the krylon camo paint and my complaint is the shine after 6-8 hunting trips.A shine defeats the purpose IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.