Daughters new bear rifle

So we hunt all over eastern wa. I got the break on her gun and she has been absolutely smoking rock chucks with the interlocks. She shot one this week at a ranged 320 yds. I bought some 160 gr accubonds to load but I haven't loaded them up yet. We are trying to plan a trip to Montana late this summer to shoot some prairie dogs but she is on two different select traveling softball teams and have already had 3 tourneys with 13. More to go by the fall. I guess pitchers like her in her age group are hard to come by it seems I get a call from a different team every week or so wanting her to pitch every where from Boise to Seattle.

Thank u to everyone for the advice I appreciate it....

The 280 Rem is a great cartridge. Re Berger bullets, I load the .284, 168 gr VLD and get 2,800+ fps
at the muzzle and is a very accurate load in my rifles. A side note, my second 280 Rem is currently
getting a new barrel chambered for 280 Rem. This second rifle avgd 2645 fps MV with the same load as above. Both rifles have standard 280 Rem chambers, so there are no 'mysteries' here.

My load is IMR7828ssc - 54.5 grs, 168 gr Berger VLD, Rem Brass, and CCI/Fed LR primers.
COAL: 3.350" (most manuals I've seen recommend 3.330").

I haven't hunted with this load yet, but plan on using it this Fall.

I have been using Nosler Partitions for everything since 1980 out of my .30-06 and .375 H&H and love the things.That said I have been looking at Barnes TSX, TTSX, and LRX bullets as I have heard great things from some of my friends if your gun likes them.

Glad to hear your girls hunt! My ex-wife in Wyoming considered it child abuse that I tried to get my two girls to hunt with me. It is so sad that they turned into little copies of her but then that is another story. Enjoy them while you have them!

Friday, October 23, 2009
Many of you are probably aware of the non-typical 9X10 elk taken this week by in the Canadian Yukon Territory. Almost two months ago,On September 25, Canadian Dall sheep guide Alan Klassen killed an elk for the very first time! Using a .270 with 130 grain bullets, he anchored the elk with two shots.
http://trochronicles.blogspot.com/2009/10/monster-elk-taken-in-yukon-territory.html

found this a while ago to prove to a friend you dont have to have a 180 grn to put a big guy down just the right spot to put it

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.