Daughters first buck

jskmtd

During the summer my girls have practiced shooting, Makenlee to 600 yards and Kaeleigh to 985 with both having great success.gun)
Idaho's general mule deer season opened on Oct. 10th. The Sunday before the opener my kids wanted to go glass for deer. We arrived at the glassing spot about 1 1/2 hours before dark. We hadn't been there long before we spotted a nice 4x4 buck that the kids named the cedar buck, because he was standing by a cedar tree and in this area it his mostly quaking aspen trees and sagebrush. We continued to glass and saw some small 2 points and a 3x4 that we called the island buck because he was in an island of sage brush in a grove of quaking aspens. Soon after we spotted another 4x4 that appeared to be around 30" wide that was eating leaves off of the quaking aspen trees the kids named him the leaf buck. Needless to say my 2 daughters 12 and 14 years old could not wait for opening day.
The night before opening day we went to my parents cabin along with my father and stayed so we would be ready to find a buck for the girls. We got up early and headed for the glassing spot in the dark when we bumped two bucks. The bucks sky lined them selves at about fifty yards and it appeared one of them was the leaf buck. Disappointed we headed to the glassing spot. After sitting in the dark for about 15 minutes it started to get light. We started glassing with nothing found for around 30 minutes when I spotted a buck that we thought was a 2x3. The girls had decide that Makenlee my 12 year old would shoot first. I promptly ranged the buck at 457 yards and asked Makenlee if she was ready to shoot a buck. I dialed the scope while she was getting behind the rifle. She found the buck in her scope and prepared for the shot. She looked up at me and said she was shaking too much to shoot. I tried to help her get steady again and she got back on him and was still unable to quit shaking. She then looked up and asked her sister Kaeleigh if she wanted to take the buck. Kaeleigh then tried to help her sister get steady and told her to take a couple of deep breaths. Makenlee was still unable to take the shot and asked her sister again if she wanted to take the buck. Kaeleigh said sure and slid in behind the rifle and within seconds she was on the buck and ready to shoot. When I was on the buck I told her to send it. Before I finished the words she had broke the trigger and the buck was down. I haven't quit smiling since. What a great feeling it is to have your kids want to share something you love so much. The buck turned out to be the island buck. The rocks you can see behind Kaeleigh is were she shot from.
We hunted over the weekend and are still trying to get Makenlee a buck. She has had a couple of others in her scope and is having a little trouble with buck fever.:D
The past few days with my daughters have been the best days I have ever spent hunting and I have hunted a lot with decent success. Thanks for reading and take your kids hunting they might just teach you something.
Jon

Attachments

• IMG_20131010_094832_607.jpg
    IMG_20131010_094832_607.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 91
I am with you on being a proud dad i have a now 19 yr old and 14 yr old daughter and I love to watch them be successful hunting it makes me proud my youngest daughters first buck is in my signature line i was a proud dad then too. Tell your daughter way to go that is AWESOME.....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.