Data on 257 stw

I have a 10 twist in mine and it does not like 100gn bullets, most likely due to the high velocity of the round. My two best loads were with RL-25 and 115 gn Nosler Bal tips and 110gn Accubonds with Ramshot magnum. The bal tips were very accurate but did not perform well. At 3550 fps, they were varmint bullets and did not penetrate well. I am getting as good of accuracy with the Accubonds. I also switched away from the RL-25, as it is a stick powder and is prone to powder bridging in the 257 stw duue to the large capacity/small caliber. The ball powders do not have the same problem. My best load is: 76.2gns Ramshot Magnum, Fed 210M, 110gn Accubond (3500fps). This is near max in my gun and you should prob start around 73.0gns. My max RL-25 load was 78.0gns. This was a warm load, but again, I experienced some weird pressure spikes and attribute it to powder bridging, so I cannot recommend this load. Good luck.

As with 257Speed I would recommend you go away from the stock powders for the 257 STW. I have built alot of these rifles for customers and all have performed exceptionally well with most loads from 100 gr up to 130 gr bullets but with the slower ball powders such as Ramshots magnum already mentioned, they really settled down and were easy to load for.

Many get into situations where they are getting what they think are pressure signs but instead it is powder bridging issues. The slow ball powders give a very gradual, even pressure curve so its much easier to work up to a good top pressure load safely.

You will also loosen up many fewer primer pockets using the ball powders.

The Magnum I have used has been very similiar in burn rate to Retumbo and nearly as resistant to temp changes. Generally starting load levels for Rl-25 and Retumbo work very well with Magnum.

In my personal 257 STW rifle I found, like 257Speed that it really settled down with the heavier bullets. With the Wildcat Bullets 130 gr Bonded Core FBHP loaded to a solid 3450 fps in the 30" Lilja 1-10 barrel it was a dream to shoot with groups averaging well under 2" at 500 yards.

It is also very accurate with the 100 gr bullets, especially the 100 gr BCFBHP wildcat loaded to 3950 fps. Still at the 500 yard line the 130 gr pill had a distinct edge in accuracy.

Much better performance on deer size game as well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thank you for the information. I am having my rifle made from a 700 BDL ss. Barrel will be cut at 29", oversized recoil lug, With a real good gunsmith that has the knowledge to produce an excellent rifle. Will keep you posted on its progress. Has anyone tried the solid copper bullets on the market? Again thanks for the information and if anyone finds any more data I would love to hear about it.

I have two customers using the 115 gr TSX bullet with great results. That is once they got away from RL-25 and Retumbo. Not that these powders did not work but there is potential for powder bridging issues with these powders, especially Retumbo.

Both are now using either Ramshot Magnum or AA8700 with very good accuracy. If you would like I can try to get some load data for you. May take some time, I know one of the guys is in Alaska as we speak on a combo bear, moose and bou hunt.

I am not a solid copper bullet fan by any means but I will say the TSX is a vast improvement over the original X bullets.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a 257STW ive been trying to work up a load for. I am using VihtaVuori N560, loaded and shot a ladder from 76gn to 79gn. My node was at 77.6gn with the Barn's 100gn TSX. Speed is around 3850 with a spread of 25 to 30fps. The gun is a Rem. 700 that has been sleaved, Shilen 28in 1&10 twist, McMILLAN stock, and Jewell Trigger.

My question is on your reamer, I sent a dummy round loaded with a 100gn TSX seated to the bottom of the neck. My loaded round is touching the lans. Should i have got a reamer with some free boar so i can get the bullet to jump?

The gun is not shooting groop's verry well. Grooping 4 to 5 inches at 200 yards.

Remo

Remo,

First off, get the bullet at least 0.020" off the lands and I prefer 0.030".

I have found the TSX generally shoot a bit better off the lands.

TO be honest I would not use the Barnes bullets and try either the 110 gr Accubond or one of the several Wildcat Bullets in 257. They all generally outshoot the Barnes bullets on average.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the tip! I went out and got a box of the 110gn AccuBond's today.Where can i get some of the Wildcat Bullets in 257?

Remo

PS I changed scopes on the 257STW today also. Hope the one i took off was bad.

Hey Kirby

Could you explain the powder bridging and what it means? I havent heard this term used before maybe I call it something else.
Thanks

Where can i get some of the 130gn .257 wildcat bullets? Will my 1&10 twist shoot them or will they keyhole?

Remo

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.