Darrell Holland's ART reticle

Agree with the above keep it simple. mil on mil and MOA on MOA.
Even though while in the army i ran MIL reticle and MOA turrets? 'M3A' Uncle sam for ya.

whether its mils or MOA doesn't much matter they both work. they both are easier to use when both the turrets and the reticle are either mil/mil, or moa/moa.

when they are mixed you have to convert one to the other.

same, same equals one less thing to worry about.

Having used it now for a while, hunting and competing, I find the MIL/MOA combination VERY compelling.

For ranging targets, for some reason, I am still MUCH faster with the MIL measurements above the line. But then for holdovers and holdoffs, it makes so much more sense to use MOA marks with MOA turrets. Given that, in competition and in hunting, that I don't find I have enough time to dial all the time, it's good to combine the two -- dial for gross holdover or holdoff, and then use the reticle for fine tuning.

So, now I have a Leupold and two S&Bs converted, and two more S&Bs on the way.

Dear Guns and Labs,

Intersting comments on our scopes and reticles, obviously your are impressed with our technology. If you'll use your ULTIMATE DATA CARD SOFTWARE you can create your ranging subtensions in MOA or Mils, your choice. In having hundreds of shooters MIL and MOA targets we see a slight edge in the accuracy of range finding using the reticle's MOA scale.

Please take the time to try both methods and give them a fair work-out to determine the one that is best for your needs.

As you mentioned using the reticle for fast coarse adjustments and compounding it with the elevation knob is very efficient and incredibly fast. Adding a .250-.50 moa click is all it takes to be exact vs dialing 18.5 MOA etc. I was once challenged by a dialer saying that our reticle was no faster than his ability to dial correction. I kept it simple and we shot at 100 600 400 and back to 100 yds, 4 shots as fast as you can go, hitting the target of course. Needless to say it was over very qucikly and I never touched a dial. It also eliminates full roational errors so common in long range shooting.

Keep up the good work and may the winds never blow on a difficult shot.

Respectfully,

Darrell Holland

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.