Darrell Holland's ART reticle

Re: Darrell Holland\'s ART reticle

There must be something about it that people like because we have installed quite a few in S&B's for Darrell.

Re: Darrell Holland\'s ART reticle

I think it's 1 of the more practical hunting reticles out there due to the fact that it only provides 2 MOA either side of vertical axis for windage. IMO that's about as far as i'd wanna aim off game for wind, and it keeps me honest. It does provide for a lot of ranging flexibility tho. If u wanna use milliradian, then it's there, if u wanna use MOA it's there too. Darrell probably oughtta advertise that, tho admittedly it doesn't have a lot of use for game, since few would actually apply it.

ART reticle

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the interesting comments regarding our reticles. Here is our thought process regarding the MIL-MOA design.

We can all agree (well most of us) that the mil-radian scale is here to stay as far as rangfinding goes. We have the Mil-dot Master, a calculator and a host of other offerings ( Data Cards etc.) to determine range using the angular projection of mil-radian.

One can teach the average shooter to range using the mil-radian scale in in less than an hour and he will be reasonably proficient in its use. But what happens if the calculator, mil-dot master, PDA or data card becomes lost, or MURPHY interviens? Not many shooters can do the math in their head to determine range to the target? By using the MOA scale it is simple division that most shooters can do. Ever need an ACE up your sleeve when in the field? The MOA scale provides that ACE.

Shooting to MOA correction is MUCH easier to teach and understand, since the average shooter has used the MOA increment for most of, if not all of his life. The MOA scale offers a finer angular correction than 1/0 mil for those highly refined shooters. Having the reticle speak the same language as the elevation/windage knob makes for fast and easy shooting. Having 24 MOA to shoot to, gives the shooter a far greater range using the reticle than 5 MILs ( 17.25 MOA).

For those individuals who still disagree with our concept, we will be offering THE ULTIMATE MIL RETICLE ( UMR ) in the new Leupold 6.5x20 and 4.5x14 Mark 4 scopes. It will feature 5 mils above the horizontal wire and 10 mils below in 1/2 mil graduations. Mil windage and lead bars will be 2 mils in width with 1/2 mil graduations all numbered like our MIL-MOA reticle. These scope reticles will be in the FFP and are calibrated on any magnification setting. The mil-radian crowd loved shooting the prototype and yes the w/e knobs are graduated in 1/10 mil increments.

Hopefully I've cleared up some of the reasons behind our reticle design. If it wasn't for new ideas we'd still be using the German Post or a standard crosswire? Take a walk to the edge of the world, the view is great!

Most importantly, shoot straight with whatever method you choose?

Thanks for the opportunity to share our ideas.

Sincerely

Darrell Holland

Darrell,
Even though I am not a mil guy, it is neat to see you providing the Mil reticle for those who prefer it the most.

Still love that etched numbered MOA reticle--It sure avoids confusion in the field.

ART Reticles

XPHUNTER

You bet, having a numbered reticle makes for good proof shooting. At our long range shooting school we call it shooting by the numbers... With our Advanced Data Card software one can shoot any angle, have mil-subtensions, actual range, drop, drift, all calculated in MOA and or MILS based on time of flight and gavity. Its a GREAT system...

I'm very excited to see the public acceptance regarding our Ultimate Mil Reticle ( UMR )design. It provides the Mil shooter with more benefits than any current Mil graduated reticle on the market. We've also re-designed the windage and elevation knobs on the Leupold Mark 4 series of rifles scopes, a much needed improvement! They are faster and easier to read. They add a touch of class to the finished scope.

Best of luck in your shooting, congrats to your boy shooting so well in Missoula!

Sincerely,

Darrell Holland

Jwp475

Greetings,

We will be offering Advanced Reticle Technology in the NEW NIGHTFORCE 5.5x22x50 first focal plane scopes, Sorry no retrofits at this time.

Believe me, it will be worth the trade-up...

Be safe,

Darrell Holland

Also, I hadn't noticed it's offered in the FFP for Leupold scopes. For anybody looking for a FFP scope over 10X, the choices are very limited. Another choice available for less than USO and S&B prices is a great thing.

I thought his website says that the Leupolds are second focal plane.. ??

Yes, must not be updated yet. Leupold Mark 4's are now available in FFP. The ART is or will be available soon for the 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 (FFP).
One will be on my hunting rig come fall.

Darrell,

Will you make an all MOA reticle?? It would make as much sense as the MIL / MIL. Inquiring minds and all.....

SC

Reticles

Dear StoneCold,

We will continue to offer the following reticles in Leupold Schmist and Bender and NIGHTFORCE scopes.

We will have our MIL-MOA reticle as well as our NEW Ultimate MIL RETICLE ( UMR ) that features a Mil only design in the Leupold and NIGHTFORCE scopes, They will be installed in the first focal plane and calibrated on ANY magnification setting.

My personal preference is the MIL-MOA version as it offer advantages that cannot be matched my the Mil only version.

Hope this helps, give us a ring if you would like our catalog and DVD on Advanced Reticle Technology. 541-439-5155 9:00-3:00 PST.

Shoot straight and be safe,

Sincerely

Darrell Holland

OK, here is my experience after almost one year…
First, I purchased Darrell's ART for a Schmidt-Bender, which has an extremely high price/quality relationship. It is my understanding the Germans may hunt at night for deer in the Black Forrest so they have developed a tube with lens that are capable of night viewing, I presume with full moon conditions. Secondly, the Schmidt-Bender has the reticle located in the first focal plane.
Secondly, anything new to me is confusing. I am NOT one of those people who can read a manual or listen to a presentation and Viola! All is understood. It never happened in grade school, college or anywhere near the present.
Mind you, I had zero shooting experience at any range beyond 100 yards at mostly White-tailed Deer or jackrabbits as a child. In my research before purchase stage, I was not convinced this ART was anything other than a gimmick. I knew I wasn't shopping for this thing at Wal-Mart and it wasn't priced accordingly. Really, I had little experience at shooting a rifle but had considerable shotgun time over my Brittany's hunting quail in South Texas.
With a small learning curve, I now have index cards I have duplicated the ART onto as well as ranging sizes for various wild animals. E.g., coyotes, deer (doe & buck), and even turkeys. I have spent a fortune on a few rangefinders and all have their limitations. Also, they are slower and at longer ranges or not effective or won't return a yardage at all.
If a turkey crosses a sendero (Spanish for fire break) at some undetermined yardage, I merely get my rifle in position and range it with my ART system. I simply hold the ranging card (printed on the reverse side of my reticle image) in my right hand (I am left handed) and look at the subtending angle and within three seconds I have a yardage to target. If in this example, the turkey was a doe I wished to cull, the shot would have been off within a matter of 15 to 30 seconds as compared to aiming a rangefinder, acquiring a yardage (hopefully it will work in low visibility or light conditions), putting the rangefinder down, picking up my rifle, getting it on a rest, blah, blah, blah. In the least, I would know a range to a known point. I scratch that down on a blank index card mapping the area.
You get my point.
As far as MOA v Milradians, here is a simple way I understand it; 1 Mil = 3.438 MOA. Or, put another way, 1 true MOA subtends 1.047" at 100 yards, whereas 1Mil subtends 3.6" at 100 yards. Mil's are accurate, MOA are super-accurate! If you wish to witness the potential error go out to 300 to 800 yards and it all becomes very apparent in a hit/miss scenario. If you have a rangefinder which will give you immediate and accurate ranges from 400 to 1000 yards, you probably have little use for the ranging function of the ART system.
Finally, making the actual shot is literally a no-brainer for a no-brain like me. Range it with the ART, never put the rifle down or off its rest, look at your index card, get set on your rifle (you already know by the index card what the MOA holdover is and simply make the shot. Your confidence is maxed out. You know that bullet will arrive at its intended destination. It is a wonderful experience, each time!
With Excel and a few index cards you can insert other sample targets to range for your hunt or ranging practice. With the height of telephone/utility poles, unoccupied (remember the "do onto others…" thing) trucks/ATVs, unoccupied hunting stands, livestock (cattle, sheep, goats), rabbits, ravens, buzzards, gas pipeline markers or risers, water troughs, windmills (or sections) etc., you can simply create your own quick reference cards. Even fawns are useful at a particular time in the season (therefore average height) is very valuable.
A friend told me of an experience of reverse-ranging a caribou's antler height and knowing the distance by ranging adjacent caribou, he could get an accurate idea of the antler height (beam length) of specific bulls lying down. He could better estimate a B&C score with the ART.
If you are shooting up to 300 yards in known yardage conditions I am not sure the value of this reticle system if one knows their rifle's performance.
There is a downside to everything…the yin and yang thing. Once I purchased one of these darn things and used it, learned from it and with it, another rifle in my safe begged me to put one on it. I am slow, but I quickly figured out two of these things are twice as expensive as one.
Go shoot!

I just finished a fun tactical match using one of specialty pistols (64 targets between 300-800 yards).
Most were using bolt rifles or AR-30's (mainly bolt rigs though)
I exclusively used the ART reticle (FFP S&B scope) and came in ninth over all (1st place 47 points, 2nd 45 points, 3rd 42 point) with 35 points. Most I had shot in field positions like this since 2004-I guess I need more practice.
The ART system was very quick in the field. We had 4 seconds per hundred yards time for each target. A minute was added for set-up time. You had to be standing several feet away from your shooting position, gun unloaded, bi-pod legs, up , etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.