Dan's Custom Guns 6.5-284

jett

Well, Dan Glover of Dan's Custom Guns has built me several spectacular rifles in recent years. Most have been heavy tactical rifles in Mcmillan A-5 stocks. All have been sub half MOA rifles. This spring I asked Dan for something a lot different. I wanted a light weight carry rifle for tree stand hunting. The components are:
Stiller TAC 300 Action
Broughton 5C #4 fluted 26 inch
High Tech stock pillar bedded and dipped in skull camo
Jewell trigger
Custom Leupold Scope w/ extra low rings
SSG bolt knob
6.5 - 284 Caliber
Dan completed the gun in his usual 4 - 5 month time frame. Normally I count on a completed rifle two weeks after the components are received by Dan. Due to a busy year for me thanks to Hurricane Irene, I was unable to find time to break this rifle in and develop a load. Realizing the deer season was fast running out, I sent the gun back to Dan and he did the barrel break in and load development for me. Now comes the good part. This morning I confirmed the 250 yd zero with two shots less than one inch apart. I plugged in the velocity Dan recorded for the 140 Bergers into my Ballistic FTE phone app and my third shot hit dead center 1 inch high at 785 yds. My next two shots were at 1000 yds and were 2.75 inches apart and are shown in the bottom pic. I was amazed to say the least to get this kind of performance from a light weight carry rifle that I fully intended to be my tree stand gun! Not too shabby for the only 5 shots I have fired from this gun. Great gun and awesome service from Dan! Dan is a sponsor on this site and goes by DCGS.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 179
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 179
Thanks Jett. I was surprised at the shots you sent me. I can't take all the credit. The shooter had a lot to do with it. We have talked before on how much harder it is to shoot a light weight sporter gun that accurate. It just seems harder to keep everthing perfectly still. As I was doing barrel break in I told you that if I did my part it was pretty much one hole groups at a 100yds. It's just hard to do my part every time. Good luck hunting. Next pic needs to be of you, the gun, and a big buck. Enjoy Dan

I had just been on Dan's site when I found a Google link to this post. Fine looking rifle and some incredible shooting...and in a LIGHTER weight sporter. I realize every rifle and chamber is unique, but would you be willing to share your load? ! have a similar project in mind.

Thanks for a good post in which you surely showcased the work of an LRH sponsor and a great smith to boot.

Matt

Matt,
The load was 49.5 gr. of H4350 with a 140 gr. Berger .002 off the lands using Fed 210 primers. Make sure to start well below this and watch for pressure signs. Velocity was 2850 with single digit spread.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts