Dang you wallet and armslist

crowsnest2002

Well tonight I almost went through with a trade for my 1970 Rem 700 BDL varmint with 1971 barrel in 243 for a Savage 10 pc. When going back through all the pictures trying to find some for the interested party I saw this rifle was more than a rifle. This rifle is not even close to one of those out of the box rifles that are cheap and put together in a heart beat. It's gone through how many hands, killed numerous of god knows what (a few groundhogs on my end), and has the accuracy still to boot. These old ones may not be overly priced because of their age, but their stories behind them are probably uncountable. Anyway I feel bad about the deal that was transpiring so here is a contribute to a family heirloom.
When I first brought her home and threw some goodies on it.
15ek40y.jpg

fkady9.jpg

A picture of one of her first kills for me.
345fsbc.jpg

A kill from this year and new farm I growing fond of
zwj6nd.jpg

5k2iki.jpg

Some profile pictures, some barrel wear :)
350uq7a.jpg

2wg9m5i.jpg

Scope base screws on barrel
2mxl4wl.jpg

Rear aperture sight screws on receiver
qxt85v.jpg

Some Checkering? Don't really know the story on this. I do know when it came to me it was originally in this VLS stock, but I also know most VLS stocks don't have checkering on them.
2n1e0qu.jpg

2pq28tv.jpg

The bolt jeweling worn off
2ednzhh.jpg

Bottom metal, most likely not original :)
30if70l.jpg

The most important picture yet, my daughters first trip out with me :):):cool::rolleyes:
5121ae.jpg

I know the rifle isn't really worth that much, but I think it's earned its place.
If you guys have any stories or photos of something near and dear to your family or you feel free to post them onto this thread. I appreciate hearing the stories.
Also my paps Savage 340 30-30, worst trigger known to man lol, but still can shoot 1moa with 125grn speer tnts at 100 :D
xctbmc.jpg

Figured I'd put my best group on here. 400 yrd 2 3/4" group 5 shot. Might get a little better if I could get a little more power in the glass and practice a little more. For shooting targets I'd have to say the dot reticle doesn't work so well for me.
2qnpds3.jpg

Nice write up and pictures. I agree, they sure don't build them the way they used to. That's a beautiful rifle, hunting grounds, and daughter. It's good to see young kids around guns, and hunting. Nice shooting too! Looks like she's still got it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.