damaged tip effect accuracy?

dmproske

Will a slightly damaged bullet tip effect accuracy? I have a few accubonds with a slightly flattened tip from using a impact bullet puller:mad:

Have since ordered a press mounted puller.

At the minimum, the flattened tip Noslers will have a slightly lower BC than the pointed ones. This would probably only be noticed in slightly more drop at very long ranges. For shooting less than 500 yds it shouldn't be an issue.

If the tip is also bent over to the side, I don't know from personal experience how much your accuracy would be affected. I know my rifle wouldn't shoot Hornady Interbonds with crooked tips worth a hoot. And those crooked tips were crooked from the factory, not from recoil in the magazine. My group sizes with the Interbonds was three times larger at 300 yds than with straight tipped Nosler BTs and ABs.

I didn't want to waste my time and barrel life trying to figure out if the Interbonds with straight tips would shoot better than the ones with crooked tips. So I never signed up for that experiment.

Use the flattened tips to foul your bore prior to you hunt, or to check the rifle's zero prior to a hunt - just to make sure you're still in the ball park and the scope hasn't been knocked off POI.

The advice that they will most likely shoot just fine is on the money. Also the idea that bc will be affected slightly on long shots.
Re the bent tips on the interbonds I would bet a dollar that the tips didn't make the bullet do bad groups. Interbonds are a real crapshoot for accuracy. If your gun didn't like them with slightly bent tips it probably won't like em in their normal condition.

Thanks. Thought I recalled reading that here once. I will probably load them up. These and other good bullets are too expensive to just throw away.

I have never noticed any difference, but mentally I struggle with the deformation. I also can't hit a golf ball well if it has a scuff. All mental for me.

Steve

Try stuffing a bit of paper towel or soft cloth down into the end of your kinetic bullet puller. I've found that to be the best way to retrieve bullets with the least amount of damage.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.