Damage to the Neck after firing...

riverrat13

I don't know for sure if this is a reloading issue, or an ejection issue, so I am looking for advice. I am not sure what is happening, but I am having dents at the end of the neck after I eject the case. This has happened to 3 of the last 30 rounds I have fired.

This is twice fired Peterson SRP 6.5 CM Brass loaded with 41.4 GR of H4350 seated with 140 GR ELD-M @ 2.198'' to the OGIVE. No other pressure signs, and I have shot this same round without pressures signs up to 42.2 GR of H4350. I am using an AI 10 round mag.

Could this be an ejection issue? A mag issue? Or a reloading issue...

Attachments

• IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 222
your ejection spring is too strong and your brass is still warm/hot when your ejecting it...making it softer.

Pull your ejection spring out and cut about 1/4 of it off...be careful not to cut too much off.

Thanks to jlvandersnick for steering me in the right direction.

For anyone who encounters this problem in the future, I will describe what I believe was my problem and what I did to prevent it.

This is a Rem 700 action with a standard bolt face. I believe the ejector was slamming my empty case against the inside of the action prior to ejection at such a force it was denting my necks. The force, against the still very hot brass is what is causing the deformation.

I removed ejector pin and spring by using a 1/16'' punch on the pin directly behind the ejector pin. After removing the pin, the ejector and spring will fall out. My existing spring measured 1.1'' long. I cut 0.1'' off of the spring with a pair of electric pliers (needle nose would probably work) then reinstalled the spring and ejector. That minimized the force of ejection quite a bit, but it is still enough to force the case out of the action. I haven't had a chance to try a fired case, but it appears that it will eject the round just a few inches out of the action. Previously, the case would fly at least a foot.

I honestly wish I would have cut a little bit less, maybe .08 instead of .1.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

morning, if u have any experience with Semi-auto weapons
this is a common occurance. Fl sizing cures the problem.
justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.