CZ 550 Ultimate Hunting Rifle

Quarter Round

CZ is introducing a new rifle marketed to met the longe range hunters demand. Saw a short clip on this rifle yesterday evening on one of the gun shows. Anyone had a chance to look this rifle over and get a suggested price on it?
CZ 550 Ultimate Hunting Rifle

76.jpg

Product specifications

Caliber .300 WMag
Magazine capacity fixed 4
Trigger Single set
Dimensions Length 44.7 in
Barrel length 23.6 in
LOP 349 mm 13.7 in

I was at the Shot Show,but sorry to say I was unaware of this gun at the time.I've since heard the gun will retail for around $2K.Personally,if I were going to spend $2k+ on a hunting rifle,I'd rather spend it on a full custom built rifle made by someone like Defensive Edge or Kirby Allen.

The CZ USA website has a PDF price list with this at $3,150 MSRP. It says that it comes with the Nightforce scope that is shown on it. It also is listed as 'guaranteed MOA' out to 1000 yards.

EZ

I'm curious about the 1 moa @ 1000 yards accuracy guarantee. Especially when the manufacturer has no control over the ammo and shooting techniques customers use. So I'm going to ask them how they claim that accuracy level.

Set triggers and hammer forged barrels for best accuracy? Something isn't right, here.

I'll post their explanations for all to read.......

You could buy about 8 savage stevens in 300 win mag.....keep the tack driver (or drivers) and sell off the other 7!!!

[ QUOTE ]
You could buy about 8 savage stevens in 300 win mag.....keep the tack driver (or drivers) and sell off the other 7!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you think!! One of our reps is also the CZ rep. He was in a few months ago pitching this thing at us. I thought it was the most assanine idea I had ever heard. I wonder what their return % will be?

I saw the same show I think, sighting in maybe? I thought I heard them say that the chamber was cut by cnc, which allowed them to hold tighter tolerances in a mass produced rifle. However they do it, and even if it did hold sub moa, I'm with you guys, there's no way it could match up to a custom rig.

All you guys excited about getting one of these tack drivers should know what the rifle's manual says:

"Use only factory-manufactured standard ammunition of appropriate caliber, which are in compliance with CIP or SAAMI (definitions omitted for brevity). The use of other cartridges could damage the firearm or cause malfunctions or injury to the shooter."

Which means their accuracy claim is based on using factory loaded ammo. Handloads are not supported.

That is pretty much industry standard---if you were in the same situation you would do the same.

[ QUOTE ]
That is pretty much industry standard---if you were in the same situation you would do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I wouldn't. I'd give the handload components, tools and methodology to use in reloading and accuracy testing. And I'd include a 20-shot target showing the test group fired at 1000 yards. I'd probably sell my rig for $5000, too.

Don't think I could get excited about this rifle. I have a few options I could purchase for the $3,150 MSRP. The marketing agenda to produce straighter rifles is certainly needed in mass production though.

$3150!!!! I could build a super custom rig on a bat action, with lilja tube, mcmillan stock, jewell trigger. Plus loading dies!

And, I'd probably still have some $$$ left to put towards a scope!

"The CZ USA website has a PDF price list with this at $3,150 MSRP. It says that it comes with the Nightforce scope that is shown on it."

The cost of the Nightforce scope should offset the cost some what
Dr B

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.