Cz 550 fs 6.5x55

6.5X55SE

I was thinking about getting this rifle, but since I won't be able to scope it anytime soon I was wondering how effective the iron sights are on it and what the maximum effective range would be (just informal target/water jug shooting). Also, I understand this model is a little more difficult to scope due to it's Euro stock. Does anyone have experience with scoping this rifle and is it really that bad? Would a leather cheek pad possibly help? I was thinking about putting the SS 10x42 on it someday. Thanks in advance for any advice/info.gun)

I have one. It came with a 3x9 Burris Fullfield II in Warne rings. It seems to fit well. I don't see any problem provided your rings are high enough.

It all depends on the stock. CZ makes alot of their guns with the European "Hogback" style stocks (you can scope em, but for some scopes you have to take part of rear sight off to get the scope low enough, it's very easy to do). It's great for open sights, but it can make getting a good cheek weld tough when looking down a scope. I have a 527 with the Hogback and a 550 with their "American" stock. The 527 is great from the bench, but kinda sucks calling yotes. The 550 is great for everything! If your used to shooting a standard "American" or "Monty Carlo" type stock, definately get the "American". If you want something more for open sights (or just to shoot something cool lookin) the Hogback fine. I don't think it would be that hard to just shoot the hell outta the Hogback with a scope until you get used to it. Either way, you can't go wrong with a CZ, you get alot of rifle for the money. If you order one with the Kevlar stock, it will come pillar bedded in a nice HS stock (and will should shoot well under an inch MOA, mine is more like 1/2 if I bring my A game)

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.