CVA Electronic Ignition

Ian M

Guys,
I just had a very enjoyable show and tell with CVA and have to mention that their new electronic ignition is very impressive and NOT a gimmick. We are talking hotter and better ignition, I believe that is an honest assesment.

The CVA of today is definitely NOT the original company, these guys are moving their product line up the quality scale very significantly. Particular emphasis on barrel quality and I am impressed with their centerfire and muzzleloader accuracy.

I would not hesitate to hunt with that electronic ignition, it is slick.

I got to play with one for a little while a while back, definantly a innovative design. I didnt actually get to fire it with a bullet but we did play around with it and some powder pellets, also fun. Should be a pretty slick product for the market this year.

steve

Ian,
It does sound like a very good innovation for black powder hunting as opposed to the Remington Etron-X, which was an answer to a problem that really didn't exist.

A reliable source of ignition is a real benefit to the black powder hunter and to a lesser extent the game as well. This system with its closed breech and hotter ignition should nearly eliminate hangfires and failures to fire. Failures to fire only result in a missed opportunity, but hangfires can result in a poor hit on the animal. I have never experienced a hangfire on game but have a few times at the range, and I don't see how you could possibly hold perfectly steady until the shot fires unexpectedly.

Any word on how much these will actually cost at the store? Over the last decade or so, CVA has been an affordable option for a quality muzzleloader. I hope they don't price this thing above the budget of the average hunter.

Thanks for the update,
Sam

Sam,
I am not sure but I think the list is in the 400 dollar range, I believe it is their premium model. The ones we had were very accurate rifles. Believe a few prairie dogs got smoked out to 140 yards.
Expect they will be in the Cabela's catalog, have not seen it yet tho.

That will be a challenge, some of the states have very stupid rules and regs regarding how animals are to be hunted and shot. Seems to me when the final moments occur when we are trying to kill cleanly we should be able to do it with the most precision and comfidence. Ignition systems or sighting systems should not be part of the equation, the days of the buckskinner have long past. Muzzleloading is a game management tool, not a lifestyle anymore. Today's muzzleloader shooter wants convenience and simplicity - blister-packed guns with all the accessories in one package. If electric ignition makes for a simpler shooting experience then go for it. Who in hell really cares how much a projectile weighs, if it is or is not in a sabot, if the gun has electronic sights, what kind of propellant is being used. That is just a bunch of hokum, the real bottom line should be killing the critter cleanly.

How would you legally carry it loaded in you car/truck? Take the battery out? Fire it off after a days hunt? Just curious.

I understand in a lot of states it must be unloaded when you put it in your vehicle a pain to say the least if you are going from one hunting area to another. And I am still waiting to hear of one being fired in a car. God Forbid. But you can't fix stupid. No matter how you try. There will be someone out there that will do just that. Lou

Here in Illinois a ML is considered unloaded for legal purposes if you have removed the cap or primer from the breech plug. Seems kinda funny to think about, but I suppose if you removed your battery it would be considered unloaded. Call me old-school, but I just can't wrap my brain around the notion of a battery-operated muzzleloader. Seems a bit weird.

I doubt very much that these guns have a battery. I should think that they are fired electronically much like a LAW or other shoulder fired anti tank rocket. I do believe that the trigger mechanisms are self contained and the energy required is generated simply by the act of pulling the trigger though a pizzeo electronic circuit. That still leaves the question how do you disable it so you do not have to fire the weapon to clear it? Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

As a matter of fact, the Electra uses a 9-volt battery which is supposed to last approximately 500 shots.

I did see CO made special regs for this gun and yes, the battery has to be removed from the gun to be considered unloaded if there is a charge in the barrel. It is also illegal during ML season.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.