Cutting edge raptor on game?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by bigBolin51, Mar 18, 2013.

1. bigBolin51

bigBolin51 Active Member

Has anyone tried the cutting edge raptor on deer, coyotes or any game. I see the bullet looks to be brass with an insertable tip. the 65 grain brass bullet out of my 243 would move at close to 35-3600 I'd say and it being a harder metal seems like it would penetrate plenty. plus one could take the tip out and use it for close range if the opportunity presented itself. OPINIONS?

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Not sure about the .243 but IIRC, LTLR did plenty of successful tests afield, maybe he and others will chime in.

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I don't remember if LTLR ever used the Raptor line, he did use the MTH's quite a bit (me too). The Raptor is marketed as a hunting bullet, large hollow point & insertable (Talon IIRC) tips. Either way it should expand well, I'd have no problem wacking a deer/'yote at moderate ranges with them. The only downside is the Raptor has a really poor BC.

t

4. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

I think the plastic tip is pretty crucial to proper expansion.

5. Outlaw6.0

Maybe, the hollow point in the Raptor is HUGE, there shouldn't be much stemming the expansion. The plastic tip will probably help though, as well as bring the BC up.

t

6. Canadian Bushman

True. I bet they will at least penetrate well. Pretty much all brass alloy bullets do well at that.

7. Outlaw6.0

IIRC, the front section of the bullet is made to have a certain number of petals shed from the core.... I know I seen that advertised I just can't remember where.

t

8. Canadian Bushman

Yeah 6. Thats the reason for the hex they broach in the front.

9. bigBolin51

bigBolin51 Active Member

Seems like at high speeds the tips would fragment off like schrapnel and the body would penetrate like a solid. Best of both worlds? Likely too good to be true but I'm a dreamer.

10. Canadian Bushman

Thats what they advertise. Have to wait for someone to do some testing and get back with us.

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Oh, OK ... that must have been it, thanks!

12. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Actually, on a HP of that size, it would expand better without the tip. The primary purpose of tips on hollow point bullets is to in crease BC.

I am with Outlaw. I would stick with the MTH's for better BC.

13. bigBolin51

bigBolin51 Active Member

BC to me is not near as critical. Many places I hunt a 300 yard shot is bout all that I can get. That's why I'd consider these. If I can run one out at 3600 that's very little drop out to 300. Especially when sighted dead nuts at 200. My cousin, whose a girl, Has killed several deer with a 55 grain ballistic tip factory ammo. I've witnessed a shot right in the boiler room and the deer never heard the shot at around 100 yards. But deer here in southern Tennessee are fairly small with large doe's weighing 90 sounds and decent bucks 145. In my area deer are wildly over populated and we can legally killed 3 doe's a day everyday four the entire 3 month season.

14. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

For that type of shooting I would highly recommend the 90 grain E-Tip. It will give consistent performance from point blank to 400 easily. A lot cheaper than the CEB's. However, the CEB's will likely be more accurate if that's an issue.

If I was a short to mid range hunter, I would not pay the extra $$$ for lathe turned monos.

I would also not recommend pulling the tips out of any bullet.