Cutting Edge Bullet Velocity

What a waste of money $1.02 per bullet plus shipping.
I can buy Hornady with the same bc for 31 cents each.
Where is 50 more fps worth 71 cents per shot?
For their price I can buy 300 Hornady's
while you only get 50.
This is a no brainer which to buy.

Last edited:
Okie,

These bullets are really meant to be used for extreme rifles. (my opinion of course). I too don't have $$$ to justify shooting these types of bullets, but I don't have a .408, .375, or .338 Cheytac either.

I'm guessing but these could be good bullets for Kirby's Allen Mags. or any other extreme chambering.

Definately interesting stuff.

Dan

What a waste of money $1.02 per bullet plus shipping.
I can buy Hornady with the same bc for 31 cents each.
Where is 50 more fps worth 71 cents per shot?
For their price I can buy 300 Hornady's
while you only get 50.
This is a no brainer which to buy.

I wouldn't anticipate high volume use for shooting prairie dogs or rocks with them. Or gravel pit practice. Rather they would likely be used to work up and confirm a specialized long range hunting load. At that point, I'd use them them to shoot game animals. After the load work-up process is complete, 50 bullets could last 5 years, unless you've been hired to cull the herd. What's 10 to 20 dollars per year for bullets, compared to the gas money you're going to spend to enjoy the hobby of hunting on a yearly basis?

I wouldn't be purchasing them to fling lead down range to watch the dust fly off the hillsides. For large game use, the additional cost will be inconsequential - for many.

I wouldn't anticipate high volume use for shooting prairie dogs or rocks with them. Or gravel pit practice. Rather they would likely be used to work up and confirm a specialized long range hunting load. At that point, I'd use them them to shoot game animals. After the load work-up process is complete, 50 bullets could last 5 years, unless you've been hired to cull the herd. What's 10 to 20 dollars per year for bullets, compared to the gas money you're going to spend to enjoy the hobby of hunting on a yearly basis?

I wouldn't be purchasing them to fling lead down range to watch the dust fly off the hillsides. For large game use, the additional cost will be inconsequential - for many.

I agree and what is the hunt of a lifetime worth. Maybe the animal of a lifetime. Special bullet for special occasion.

From what I have heard they should act like a barnes bullet. These aren't for guys shooting 200 yrds out of a tired 30-06. These are for guys shooting 1000yrds and more that need bench rest accuracy, high BC, and a bullet that performs. I myself haven't ordered any yet but I will, I want to try them in the 6.5 Sin too

Got back this morning. My son is downloading pictures for me to post. I am switching to the Cutting edge C21 180 grain bullet in 30 caliber .6 BC and the D62 225 grain 338 caliber bullet .64 BC. The bullets perform like the Barnes TTSX on game but have the extreme BC and accuracy of the best target bullets. They are as accurate as any bullet I have ever shot and do not have to weigh bullets because they are all the same. I have witnessed several caribou shot through the shoulders and lungs all with one shot dead animal results. The bullets hold together well and I am certain retaining most of their weight because the exit holes are all uniform with no evidence of fragmenting. Exit holes are all uniform 1-2 inches showing expansion but no fragmentation. In other words just like the Barnes ttsx.

I search for top high bc hunting bullets all the time that can be used in any hunting situation from close range to long range and retain their weight to drive through any animal at any angle while achieving top accuracy. Right now these are the best I have used to do that. The price is cheap next to the cost of a hunt. My loads are worked up in the 338 SIN, 300 winchester and 338-378 wby and now 50 bullets will last several years killing stuff.

Welcome back. Been eagerly waiting to hear about your on-game performance experience. Sounds very good. I may have to follow your lead and order up some Cutting Edge bullets. Looking forward to seeing some of your hunting pics too.

I have used cutting edge bullets in 277 and 338. Have not shot a deer with the 338 yet, but have with the 277s with a 270 wsm. I was shooting the 120s at about 3500 and they DO NOT act like a Barnes at all at short range. Shot a nice buck at about 100 yards in the shoulder and he went right down, but bullet did not penetrate like a barnes will at that range. When I cleaned him the bullet only made it about half way, with no marks at all on the inside opposite side of the deer. I love the cutting edge bullets but don't expect them to act like a barnes on shorter distances. I have never had a barnes not penetrate fully no matter the cal. or speed.

How did the bullet look?

I did not "sift" through the internals, but I did try to find the bullet, but didn't find anything. If you look on cutting edges web site, they show the bullets come apart in "banana peel" like strips.

I thought their hunting bullets were a piece of solid copper with a hole drilled in it.

It is, must be a deep hole. Go to their web site-click on media-and look at the pictures. they design the bullet to come apart.

The two bullets I shoot have the same results as the Barnes ttsx on the animals I saw shot with them. I have never shot the 120 grain 270 bullet. At 3500 fps and close range with a light for caliber bullet that would be a test for any bullet. From what I saw with the 180 grain 30 cal and the 225 grain 338 cal I would be very surprised if I ever found a bullet in any animal. I will be continuing to shoot them throughout the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts