Custom turrets for VX-3 CDS?

Tater1985

I recently put a new Leupold VX-3 with CDS dial on my 7mm Rem Mag. I have not ordered my custom dial for it yet. I was wondering if there were other companies that offer custom turrets that can be fitted to the VX-3? If so, are they better? Or what is some advantages to the other offerings?

i know this isnt really what you are asking but ill give you advice from my experience. I have read about several people getting turrets from leupold and them not working out the same as their own drop charts. Well I just assumed it was incompetence on the shooters end. I ordered a turret from Leupold for my 338 and it was WAY off! so I called Leupold and told them about it. they said to send in my drop chart and they will cut my turret according to that and its right on now. SO if you have Leupold do one I reccommend sending them your own chart and not using theirs because its not right.

I just got a balistic dial from Leupold, its not the cds but I think its done about the same way. I still have to see if it is done right or not. I hope it is.

mine was off 5 clicks at 1000 yards

Im still learning this MOA game. 5 clicks at a thousand with 1/4 min clicks would be about 13 inches? Is that right? thats a bunch. I guess if mine is that far off I will have to learn how to build a chart for my rifle.

For sure, that isnt good. I will have to do some testing with mine and see. Maybe weekend after next I can get out.

I think I've decided to try something else for the time being. My factory CDS turret has MOA marks on it. So I put my info into Bergers ballistics calculator and had it give me drop in MOA out to 1000 yards with my load (using factory info as that's all I have at this time). I converted the drop to MOA and # of 1/4 MOA clicks so I have a "reference" to help get me on paper at the different yardages.

I am going to use this reference to see what it actually takes in MOA adjustments to get me zeroed at different yardages. Then I may just throw a piece of tape on there and make my own marks and use them for a couple months. Then once I'm confident in the marks and they've been proven I'm going to send the taped dial in with additional hard data and have a turret made. Who it will be made by will be determined between now and then. Thanks for the input guys.

Why not just use the moa turret that comes with it & use a drop chart attached to the stock of your rifle ?

Then when you change your load, your location dramatically or put the scope on another rifle, etc, you are GTG, once validated.

I would go with kenton they are in the sole business of making turrents. I called few weeks ago and they was backed up but for additional $30.00 they would make one in 6 days so i paid the price. They was nice to deal with iactually gave them my info from my exbal program in moa i wanted. They delivered on time and tommorow i will try out.
mike

I gave leupold all my info. I gave them avg speed from my chrony and all elevation and avg temp i wanted. I just shot my rifle out to 900 yds which is all one revolution of dial will give me and the turret worked perfectly. I was able to maintain .5 moa groups at all ranges. I started at 600 yds and dialed out 100 yds at a time with one shot at each range then started back at six hundred and dialed out again with one shot at each range. i kept repeating this procedure and was extremely happy with bullet placement and repeatability.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.