Custom Rifle Labor Costs

kfrye

I'm thinking of upgrading from my M700 to one of the 700 variants that are pretty much ready to go, but was wondering what the average cost would be minus parts to barrel the action, fit a break, install the trigger, and then fit/bed (possibly pillar bed) into an action.

Call around, every smith is different, the one I am using charges $180 to blueprint the action, $250 to install a barrel (chamber, crown, thread, headspace), $120 to bed the stock and I believe $80 to do a trigger job... I am guessing fitting a break would depend on if the brake needed to be timed or not...

You can save your self some money buy doing some of the stuff yourself though, like you can bed the stock yourself and install a trigger yourself...

The cost of labor for a good gunsmith is peanuts.

$150 blueprint/square action I would rec. if installing a new barrel
$185 chamber, thread, crown, engrave caliber, and install
$135 pillar and bed the action
-------
$470 for labor

muzzlebrake and installation $140
Jewel trigger with installation $220
Timney trigger with installation $125

look at the equipment, consumable supplies, electricity, and knowledge that goes hand in hand with building a 1/2 moa rifle. Boy and I thought I was underpaid!!!

Straight Shot Gunsmithing

Brent

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.