Custom Rifle accuracy expectations??

^^^ Keep that in mind Chad, when the parts for my 6.5 WSM show up:D
Action will be here Thursday, reamer was ordered yesterday, stock will be ordered today.

Just another update.

Lilja will replace only if they find something diminsionally wrong with the bore..........doesn't sound like they'll stand behind it if it's stressed steel, or lack of stress relieving for that matter! Also sounds like he's had other similar problems with Lilja barrels just recently and the frequency of those issues has increased here just recently.

Something to think about if anyone is considering a Lilja barrel:rolleyes:

Looks like we'll probably be re-doing this one with a Hart or something else other than Lilja.

SBruce,

I look at your signature photo smile and as I read the events I just think to my self,
if he keeps that smile he'll solve any problems without having a stroke or heart failure.
Of course sometimes we must get a chill pill! :)
I'll continue expecting the best outcome and your next post.

Just another update.

Lilja will replace only if they find something diminsionally wrong with the bore..........doesn't sound like they'll stand behind it if it's stressed steel, or lack of stress relieving for that matter! Also sounds like he's had other similar problems with Lilja barrels just recently and the frequency of those issues has increased here just recently.

Something to think about if anyone is considering a Lilja barrel:rolleyes:

Looks like we'll probably be re-doing this one with a Hart or something else other than Lilja.

Shane,

You know we love ya' and I certainly don't have a dog in this fight. That being said I've yet to see a barrel "overly sensitive" to temperature. Each barrel contour/cartridge choice has its own sustainable rate of fire. -Meaning a 22K Hornet in a NBRSA Heavy contour will go a long time before it "chernobyl's" a barrel. A 300RUM in a #3 is going to have to be shot much slower. Your WSM (if I recall correctly) was built on something like a #4 or #5 contour.

My guess would be around 2 rounds per minute tops.

Interesting to note that I know of two rifles now that have accuracy issues using the same brake design. One we built. It's on its way back to us. It just shoots big. The barrel on that one is a Hart. It'd be nice to say we hit the ball out the park every time, but in reality we don't. Our comeback rate is quite low, but it does happen. FWIW I had reservations about the brake from the git go, but the customer IS always right. . .right???

Just food for thought:

I alone held the oversite on barreled actions for 3 years at Nesika. Between Garrett and I we personally fitted barreled actions on every single Dakota Arms/Nesika rifle from 2003-2006. I'd conservatively estimate that 90% of them were using barrels from Dan Lilja.

That being said any issue we ever had with accuracy could be traced back to something OTHER than a barrel issue. Anything is certainly possible, but I'd be more inclined to look at the crown, the chamber, something in the assembled barreled action hanging up in the stock (like the bolt release was in your Dasher that I didn't catch right away) A reamer that went sideways, etc.

Dan builds a good stick. Least every one that I've ever gotten has shot well.

Good luck buddy. Let us know when you get to stretch your legs with the Dasher.

Chad

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Just another update.

It sounds like Lilja is now thinking they might have had a problem with some of their flute cutters or the flute cutting process itself. Long story short, the odds of them standing behind this and sending out a replacement are looking far better now because of that.

Either way; I don't particularly care if it's wearing a Hart or a Lilja or any other top brand for that matter, so long as I get something back that shoots like it should.

Sounding better. You shouldn't have to pay much more than shipping fees to get this rifle back shooting less than 0.5 moa. Hope that turns out to be the case. It's already cost you significant time and frustration. Stuff happens now and then to all businesses and manufacturers. How they respond to that stuff when it happens to them makes all the difference in their customer support reputation.

I'll look forward to hearing how this plays out. Of a half dozen customs i've had built, two just would not shoot. Of the others, along with a good handful of Coopers, the one's that shot well seemed to shoot quite willingly from the start with most everything I put through them. From there it was just fine tuning for the best of several good loads.

Well, the rifle is on its way back to me.

The barrel was sent back to Lilja, and they didn't find anything wrong with it, but re-lapped it anyway.

LSS, it still wouldn't shoot the 180's any better than 1.5 moa. The smith tried a few bullets and nothing 180 or heavier wanted to meet his 1/2 minute gaurantee (at least not consistantly). He tried some 165's and it tightened up alot and got more consistant.

Guess I'll load up some 165s and see if it will give me the same 2" groups at 500 yds that he was getting with them.??

I am still feeling like a gun of this magnitude shouldn't be this picky, but if it will shine with 165's then it will do the job out to 800 yds or so.

"I am still feeling like a gun of this magnitude shouldn't be this picky, but if it will shine with 165's then it will do the job out to 800 yds or so."

I totally agree,I think it's a poor effort from your gunsmith!6K and you only have the option of one bullet weight.At the start of build did you specify which bullets you wanted to use?My last custom shot two different bullets with three different powders moa.

S Bruce, that does not sound right for a 4k custom rifle! I have a 300 WSM with a 1-10 twist and I shoot 210 Bergers that group well under 1/2" everytime. I am using H-4350, 59.5 grns, Berger 210 VLD's, CCI-BR-2 primers/ Fed 210's with an OAL of 3.311

I have a 260 that was custom built and it shoots everything I have loaded at 1/2" or better, depending on the bullet and charge. However, the worst is 1/2" and the best is a little better than 3/8".

I would send it back to the smith and get another barrel from someone else. To be limited to 165's in a 300????? It just does not sound right to that that kind of money invested in a rifle that only shoots one bullet! 300's shine with 210's

I had problems with a 4k+ custom 338 LM that would only shoot 1 MOA, not at all acceptable for me, plus the smith has a 1/2 MOA guarantee. I sent it back and the smith worked on it and found the problem, it was a loose scope rail. He fixed it, test fired it and sent it back and now it shoots right at 1/2" MOA with the 300 SMK's and 300 Bergers

Just my two cents

Yea, the build was based on shooting 180 Ballistic Tips or Accubonds or similar bullets. It was throated for this weight class. I was after a .5 BC doing about 3000'/sec. It's kind of a lightweight, "all purpose" big game rifle, used mostly on deer/antelope (maybe elk if I ever get a chance to hunt them) with an emphasis for between 300 and 800 yds, 1000 yds max on antelope/doe deer.

With the throat the way it is, I was seeing even the 180's robbing powder capacity. I am afraid 210 VLD's would really steal some thunder. Can't say for sure since it's not in front of me, but I think even the magazine length would limit me to 180s-190's (without stealing excessive powder room).?

He did mention that the 175 SMK's did very well also, but not as good as the 165 Ballistic Tips. I do have some 175 Berger VLDs that I could try, they're really close to that .5 BC mark.

Have you tried vvn560 with the heavier projectiles,it will give you the speeds your looking for with good accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.