Custom Hunting Rifle

MSU Marksman

I've decided to take the plunge and start selling a few guns and build one really nice one. This will be a hunting rig, not a benchrest baby, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion on claw extractor vs standard extractor is for reliability in the field. This won't be a dangerous game rig, so it's not that I won't consider other options, but I don't see many claw-type extractor rifles winning any shooting competitions either. Which way would you go for a hunting rig?

Have it fitted with a Sako or M-16 style extractor and have the best of both worlds.

What action are you gonna use?

I've been rolling around the idea of a Win 54 or Montana Rifleman M1999 if I go with the claw, or a custom action if I go otherwise. Right now the action seems to be the biggest undecided component.

Me personaly , I don't see the need for a claw extractor except maybe for a dangerous game gun and thats still a maybe. A properly installed Sako extractor or M-16 extractor will reliably and effectivly remove your cases and they feed very well , the exception I have seen was with realy short fat cases like the 6mmBR with short bullets where the round wanted to jump out before the bullet was headed into the chamber.

Wit your action choices I assume that this is gonna be a hunting gun? I'd look realy hard at the Borden , Stiller and Lawton actions before i dropped money on a factroy action that had to be trued up and from the 4 people that I've talked to that built on Montana actions they had to be trued first.

Savage makes a controle round feed action that works very well , its just a differant bolt head that has the bottom cut out and uses a mechanical ejector

What above Ed Browns Model 704 action? It's a different controlled round feed action, it maybe a little easier to true than a mauser style. Anyone have experience with these or more information?

For a hunting rifle other than dangerous game the claw extractor really isn't all that necesary. More people build on a Remington action than any other and there's a reason for that. They're a good solid action with lots of aftermarket parts avaible and it's reasonably inexpensive. There are several custom actions too such as the Stiller, Borden, Lawton, Pierce, BAT any many more that are also a very good platform to begin the build with.

Heed the advise Montour has given you.
Before you drop a butt load of $$ into a Win or Rem action having them blueprinted I would like to suggest that you take a look at Stillers Precision Firearms click on "ACTIONS" and look at the hunting actions, in particular the Predator and Tac actions. Why not buy one that is done and ready to go?
FWIW, I have no $$ interest in the company I have provided a link to. There are several others that make drop in replacements for the M700 inletted stocks. Add a high quality recoil lug and a trigger and you are good to go.
Just my 2 bits,

Montour,
I am curious, have you ever built on the Stiller TAC338 Action? I'm interested in a having a 338-378 WBY built.
Now the rest of the challenges, I am left handed, I want a sendero style synthetic stock, a clip fed magazine (will settle for a conventional magazine), and a 30" match grade fluted barrel with a muzzle break.
Should I just shut up and quit dreaming? ;)

MSU

I would have to say that there is no "BEST" extractor set up I like
any extractor that works and is properly installed.

I always hear of the problems that people have with extraction and
it is allways because something else was wrong,some common causes
are ,loads are to hot,poorly installed,wrong bolt face dia.for the round.(
Normaly to large allowing the round to slip out from under the extractor),
Dirty chamber and a dirty or brassed up bolt face, ETC.

As far as a Remingtion extractor being problematic I have never had or
known anyone that has had a problem with one that was taken care of
but I have herd of sako type extractors popping out of the bolt but they
were improperly installed.

One reason smiths dont install Remingtion extractors is the special tooling
required to cut the excentric grove in the bolt face.

The sako and M 16 type are easy to install so that is the norm if you have to
open the bolt face up.

I prefer push feed over controled feed because I can single load without
pushing the round down in the magazine taking a chance of damaging
it plus it takes longer than just laying it in the receiver and closing the bolt.

As far as custom actions .They are great looking and are (Normaly) near perfict
But as a picky gun smith I will check every action for trueness before installing
it on a barrel and doing what ever is nessary to make it true no mater who makes
it.

With that said it all boils down to what you want/like and are willing to pay for.

If your starting from scrach and do not have donor rifle then start with a custom
action if you can afford it ,but any action can be made to shoot accurately with
a quality barrel (The single most important thing when building a accurate rifle).

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

Montour,
I am curious, have you ever built on the Stiller TAC338 Action? I'm interested in a having a 338-378 WBY built.
Now the rest of the challenges, I am left handed, I want a sendero style synthetic stock, a clip fed magazine (will settle for a conventional magazine), and a 30" match grade fluted barrel with a muzzle break.
Should I just shut up and quit dreaming? ;)

Chopaka81,
Yes, I have built some over the years on Stiller actions. I have a Tac338 single shot on order right now for a customer building a .300 Lapua. The Tac338 is the action you want to use for your .338-.378 Weatherby project. Left handed,? not a problem, Stiller makes that action in left bolt left port, problem solved. The Tac338 is .05" larger in diameter than a Remington and .465" longer, it also has a .750" diamter bolt and a M16 style extractor. It's a little bit of a tighter squeeze but you can fit the Tac338 in a Sendero style stock. Stillers offers a bedding system that uses Accuracy International magazines. I haven't used this feature yet but you can contact Stillers and I'm sure they can tell you more information about it. The 30" fluted barrel with a brake again are no problem. I also sent you a pm.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.