Custom Ballistic Turrets - Need some help

bhtkevin

OK long range guys... I am starting to practice now in preperation for 500 yards shots on a hunt coming up in October. I purchased a 3.5-18x44 Z5 with a ballistic turret and I am thinking about getting two custom turrets made for it. One will be at 0ft elevation, and the other will be at 11,000ft elevation.
My hunt will take place in 9000-14000 ft elevation, with 10-12 being the average (from what I can tell from previous reports). Shots will be around 400 yards on average, but I dont think I will feel comfortable shooting more than 500 yards or so.
They dont make an MOA turret or I would just use that. I will still have my charts for backup / wind / etc...
So my questions is from your experience, will a custom turret setup at 11,000 ft be sufficient for a hunt taking place between 9000-14000ft? I need it in the kill zone if I do my part, but it doens't have to split hairs at 500 yards.

Rifle Inc Strata 270 WSM shooting Federal Premium Accubond 140gr
Here is a link to the custom turret
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/upload/media/media/35/Custom_BT_Consumer_Web[3077].pdf

Thanks,
Kevin

Crunching some rough numbers I came up with 2" less drop and 2.5" less drift at 14000ft than at 9000ft @ 500yds. with a 10mph wind. I used 2800fps as a velocity but that was a wild guess. I'd say having a turret made for 11000 would put you right on target out to 500. Go a day early and test your shooting to be real sure. Best of luck!

Thanks, that confirms what I was finding also. According to the chrono from the gun maker (shooting this load from this rifle) it cranks out of the muzzle at ~3100fps.

Thanks!
Kevin

OK long range guys... I am starting to practice now in preperation for 500 yards shots on a hunt coming up in October. I purchased a 3.5-18x44 Z5 with a ballistic turret and I am thinking about getting two custom turrets made for it. One will be at 0ft elevation, and the other will be at 11,000ft elevation.
My hunt will take place in 9000-14000 ft elevation, with 10-12 being the average (from what I can tell from previous reports). Shots will be around 400 yards on average, but I dont think I will feel comfortable shooting more than 500 yards or so.
They dont make an MOA turret or I would just use that. I will still have my charts for backup / wind / etc...
So my questions is from your experience, will a custom turret setup at 11,000 ft be sufficient for a hunt taking place between 9000-14000ft? I need it in the kill zone if I do my part, but it doens't have to split hairs at 500 yards.

Rifle Inc Strata 270 WSM shooting Federal Premium Accubond 140gr
Here is a link to the custom turret
http://www.swarovskioptik.us/upload/media/media/35/Custom_BT_Consumer_Web[3077].pdf

Thanks,
Kevin
If it were me I'd simply stick with the plain MOA turrets and make up drop charts for the different elevatons you will be hunting at. None of the aftermarket BDC turrets are going to be as accurate as doing that.

Just set your zero for 450 and have +/- X MOA adjustments on your chart and you'd be far better off.

You turret set-up for 11000 elevation will be fine. Elevation effects will be minimal at the ranges you're shooting. You can make minor adjustments and still be on hair if required. The more relevant variables that you could run into at those elevations will be the effects of the angle of the shot, and wind doping. Your turret system wll save you time with elevation adjustment, and allow more time for wind and angle adjustments if required.

If it were me I'd simply stick with the plain MOA turrets and make up drop charts for the different elevatons you will be hunting at. None of the aftermarket BDC turrets are going to be as accurate as doing that.

Just set your zero for 450 and have +/- X MOA adjustments on your chart and you'd be far better off.

I would love to but neither Swarovski or Outdoorsman makes a simple MOA turrent. Silly, I know. I asked a fwe dealers and they said yeah, but I asked swarovski directly and they said no.

You turret set-up for 11000 elevation will be fine. Elevation effects will be minimal at the ranges you're shooting. You can make minor adjustments and still be on hair if required. The more relevant variables that you could run into at those elevations will be the effects of the angle of the shot, and wind doping. Your turret system wll save you time with elevation adjustment, and allow more time for wind and angle adjustments if required.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking.

I usually agree with what WildRose stated above when it comes to BDC turrets or reticles but will disagree here. I believe BDC reticles and turrets are the perfect for inside 600yds. They will be close enough for hunting purposes regardless of changes in environment. They are faster and eliminate the possibility of screwing up numbers in MOA or MIL setups. Past 600yds I believe BDC systems should not be relied on. There is no one correction fits all at long range. I really like the G7 turrets. Best of both worlds!

I usually agree with what WildRose stated above when it comes to BDC turrets or reticles but will disagree here. I believe BDC reticles and turrets are the perfect for inside 600yds. They will be close enough for hunting purposes regardless of changes in environment. They are faster and eliminate the possibility of screwing up numbers in MOA or MIL setups. Past 600yds I believe BDC systems should not be relied on. There is no one correction fits all at long range. I really like the G7 turrets. Best of both worlds!
Well I was making my recomendation specifically due to the caliber and range. Out to 500yds the .270 is a very flat shooter and so a sight in at 450yds requires very, very little adjustment.

For myself with all of the calibers I shoot out to 500yds I don't ever bother to dope and dial, just adjust my hold because like the .270 they are all very flat shooters.

Ballistics Calculator v1.0

Of course I've spent most of the last 30 years shooting this way so it's pretty well automatic for me. Again most of my shooting isn't done from ambush/hide it's basically snap shooting on the fly which is a whole different game.

It works well for me but I've had a lot of practice doing it.

When I said I disagreed with you it really was not meant to say your methods were incorrect. I believe any correction method that is practiced and well understood will work fine for 500yd hunting and beyond. My point was anytime someone brings up BDC as a method for correction I usually argue against it. When it comes to long range ( past 600 ) I'm not a BDC fan because I believe to be precise at these longer distances everything should be accounted for. THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT CAN'T WORK! I just think under 600 you can get away with shortcuts that you can't get away with beyond that. This is not caliber specific but rather a general OPINION of mine. WildRose your methods will work just as well and you have proven that time and again. I look forward to the day I can shoot as good as you and many others on this site.

When I said I disagreed with you it really was not meant to say your methods were incorrect. I believe any correction method that is practiced and well understood will work fine for 500yd hunting and beyond. My point was anytime someone brings up BDC as a method for correction I usually argue against it. When it comes to long range ( past 600 ) I'm not a BDC fan because I believe to be precise at these longer distances everything should be accounted for. THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT CAN'T WORK! I just think under 600 you can get away with shortcuts that you can't get away with beyond that. This is not caliber specific but rather a general OPINION of mine. WildRose your methods will work just as well and you have proven that time and again. I look forward to the day I can shoot as good as you and many others on this site.
No offense taken at all. You just showed me I needed to explain further my line of thinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.