custom .270 accuracy

I'm debating if I should go ahead with a semi-custom build or not. Right now I've got a stainless steel barrel blank contoured to finish at .625" at 24". It is made by Ted Gaillard, a custom barrel maker here in Canada. He has an excellent repuation. It would get put together on a trued Remington 700 action.

Now I know it should shoot well but I also have a Ruger #1B in .270 that gets excellent velocity while providing 3/4" groups. It makes me wonder if the rifle I would be getting built would be worth the effort and expense.

From other people's experience what kind of accuracy should I expect? Would it turn out to be a better rifle than what I already have?

At the place you are at, with your prospective build, your accuracy question cannot be answered. Much depends on the quality of the threading, chambering, and crowning of your barrel blank. And, that's not the final answer! All the above mentioned isn't worth a hill of "beans" without a proper stock to metal fit (stress free bedding), a crisp trigger, and quality optics in quality mounts that have been properly installed. Next, go to the ammo. Are you willing to take the time to develope handloads for your new rifle? Time and again, I've seen rifles built with quality components come to my shop that will not shoot because of inferior craftsmanship or unrealistic expectations of factory loaded ammo. Some will shoot factory ammo, some don't.

Last edited:
I have to say that I'm confident in the smith. I sent him an old 700 BDL varmint rifle a two years ago. It was a 6mm Remington that I had gotten in a trade. It looked like it had hardly been fired but I had no real use for a 6mm Remington. He trued the action, set the factory barrel back and rechambered it in 6mmBR and re-crowned it. What I got was a rifle that can is better than 1/2 moa with the only two loads I've ever used in it. Not bad at all for working with a factory barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.