Custom 20BR project using 55 grain Bergers.

robbobsam

I am currently researching the 20BR with the intention of having a custom single shot rifle built. On paper it has very impressive ballistics with the high BC long range 55 grain Berger varmint bullet. However, me being the eternal cynic I am not inclined to believe everything I read and would like to hear from anyone with experience in this caliber using this bullet.

Alternatively I was thinking of going down the TAC20 route with the same bullet.

The ballistic performance of the 2 calibers with the 55 grain Berger long range varmint can be seen below compared to the .223rem using the 55 grain Sierra Blitzkings.

1-3.jpg

When you compare the 20BR and TAC20 to the 223Rem they both outperform it by a long way at extended ranges on paper.

What first hand experiences do you have with this bullet in these calibers.

I want to use this rifle for 200-600yds varminting.

Another issue I would like to hear your views on is the recoil from a 20BR compared to the 223Rem. I have down sized from the .243win to .223Rem for varminting and I enjoy watch the hits though the scope which I was unable to do with the .243win.

Do you get much more recoil with the .20BR over the .223Rem and would I still get to to see the hits through the scope?

Last edited:
Hey Rob,
Don't have any experience, but have you looked at this:

20 Caliber Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I found this really helpful when I was researching .20 cals. I really like the idea of the 20 Practical (223 necked down to .204). Why are you looking at 20's with the new 223AI working well?

Tank

Hiya Tank,

Good to hear from you again, when you gonna cross the pond and come shooting with me then?

As for the 20BR I have too much money spare and too much free time.

The 20BR is going to be my next project.

Keep in touch buddy !!!

How do the 20s compare with the 223 shooting a 55gr. bullet like you're shooting in the 20s. Seems like you're comparing apple to oranges. I would expect a 55 gr. bullet to outperform a 40 gr. and close to the same velocity.

The break down:

20 cal Berger 55= .381
.224 cal 55 V-max= .255
53 V-max= .290
Sierra 55 Blitz King= .271

To get equivalant BC of the Berger 55 you need the following:

77grn SMK .371
68grn Hornady BTHP .355
77grn Berger BT Match .376

Your getting the picture here I'm sure. You have to go to a substantially heavier bullet for caliber in the .223 to achieve the same level of the performance of the 20BR with a 55grn bullet. Not to mention the 20 cal is going to be moving at a much higher velocity.

Tank

Hiya Tank,

Good to hear from you again, when you gonna cross the pond and come shooting with me then?

As for the 20BR I have too much money spare and too much free time.

The 20BR is going to be my next project.

Keep in touch buddy !!!

Well our debt is maxed at the moment. We bought a camper, pontoon boat, and still trying to pay off my flop of a truck purchase. My student loans kick in this next month. Sooooooo..... we need to get some debt payed down. I can tell you that I think about it often. I would love to come over and do some rabbit culling with ya. Muntjac's sound cool too! Of course the almighty red fox would be cool too. Hopefully we can get about 60% of our debt wiped out in the next couple years. I haven't forgotten about you buddy! I'll get there eventually.

Tank

Well our debt is maxed at the moment. We bought a camper, pontoon boat, and still trying to pay off my flop of a truck purchase. My student loans kick in this next month. Sooooooo..... we need to get some debt payed down. I can tell you that I think about it often. I would love to come over and do some rabbit culling with ya. Muntjac's sound cool too! Of course the almighty red fox would be cool too. Hopefully we can get about 60% of our debt wiped out in the next couple years. I haven't forgotten about you buddy! I'll get there eventually.

Tank

Really looking forward to it.

The foxes have been having it just lately.

P1011136.jpg

P1011129.jpg

P1011065.jpg

P5220011.jpg

How do the 20s compare with the 223 shooting a 55gr. bullet like you're shooting in the 20s. Seems like you're comparing apple to oranges. I would expect a 55 gr. bullet to outperform a 40 gr. and close to the same velocity.

Here you go,

I have compared the TAC20 & 20BR using the 55grain Berger long range varmint bullets with the .223Rem shooting the 55grain Sierra Blitzkings. The results are pretty much the same.

The 20 cals hammer the .233Rem in all departments.

1-3.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't realize how small a muntie was until you put them next to the foxes. They are some little deer.

Tank

Yes they are small, a good sized buck would go 40-45lb, but they taste fantastic.

P8190002.jpg

The meat is very expensive too if you wanted to buy it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.