Curse of the trophy moose tag lifted!!!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Troutslayer, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Troutslayer

Troutslayer Well-Known Member

So I went out for round five. This was a solo mission. I spent a day hunting the road accessable parts of my area but they were full of snowmobilers and ATV traffic. The next day I backpacked in to a more remote part of the area about five miles on a trail which is an easement across private property. This trail leads to where I had been seeing the bulk of the moose in my area. As soon as I hit the border of USFS I was exhausted and I set my camp and relaxed a little while. I then packed up my food for 5 days and my evening hunting supplies and started walking up the trail to where I intended to hunt and to find a tree to hang my food in. Before I could even find a tree I looked up on a sage covered hillside and there was the biggest damn moose I had seen in 15 days of hunting. I dropped all my gear and inched in for a better shot, the wind was perfect, and I got within 175 yards, laid out prone and made a shot. I heard the whack of a hit but he took off running. I could not see where he went as there was a little plateau up there. I hurried up that hill and you can imagine what was going through my mind, thinking that maybe it was a bad shot or who knows what. When I crested the plateau he was bedded down about 30 yards from where I shot him, and he was trying to get up but I wanted to keep him right there on that plateau. I had to put two more in him to get him to die. My first shot would have been sufficient as it was right through the front quarter. I got on my cell phone and called an outfitter who I had already worked out a deal with, $400 to pack it out, maybe more depending on where I was in the backcountry. I went to town skinning and quartering and around midnight two packers showed up with four mules. As soon as they lifted a quarter they said "no way, too heavy" so we had to split each quarter and get them loaded. By 4 AM we were at my truck and now I am home. The packers were awesome considering that there was no moon and they hadn't ever been on the trail before, I gave them the best tip I could afford.
    [​IMG]
    Packing in a couple of weeks ago
    [​IMG]
    This is the kind of country I was hunting
    [​IMG]
    I saw about 13 moose altogether, 8 or so bulls, like I said before, most would run from me before I could get a picture or anything.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, no grip and grin. I was alone. He is 49" at greatest spread and has 10 points on one side 8 on the other. I am stoked. Don't know if he's going to make B&C yet but should be close I think.

Things I learned:
    1. Gerber saws are total junk and not up to the task of quartering a moose.
    2. Bring along one of those moldable tripods so you can get a shot of yourself and your moose.
    3. You have to cut a moose in 9 pieces to pack it out on mules.
    4. Persistence pays off.

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Wonderful, way to go.

3. NYLES

NYLES Well-Known Member

THATS RIGHT! Well done!

4. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Beautiful, well done! Congratulations.

5. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

Congrats Troutslayer. Now that the work is done, relax and have a couple of cold "Troutslayers" from Bayern:D Nice bull.

6. TAC

TAC Well-Known Member

Congrats... very impressive!

...and my wife give me grief for going out alone locally for deer... :rolleyes:

TAC

7. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Congrats! Persistence does pay off. Having read all of your adventures and ups and downs trying to get a moose, you definetly earned this!

Good goin!!

8. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Congratulations.

Love that first picture.

9. BrandonA

BrandonA Well-Known Member

You definately deserved that beast, my hats off to you. After all you had to go through, and the type of hunting you went into I only hope I can equal the type of effort you put into your hunt in the future, talk about being persistant.. it all worked out for you! congrats again!

10. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Well done! Beautiful bull!

11. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

(APPLAUSE) well done. And great fotos too.

12. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

persistence...i love your story. congrats on a well deserved trophy.

13. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Thanks for the story.

14. Troutslayer

Troutslayer Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Here's a pic we took while capeing it. It measures 137.5", assuming that all of the points are countable (it would score higher with less points on the one side) and assuming that I measured from the right spots. It's also going to shrink. Book is 140, so I think I'm SOL in that department but I can tell you it makes me no less happy. I sold the cape and am having it bleached and cleaned for a Euro mount.

[​IMG]