Cull Bull or Cow Hunts interested?

eddybo,

I conviently forgot that I will have a new baby about 10 days before the hunt. I will also be leaving for Canada around the 21st. I think that these two obligations will keep me at home. Thanks for the info. Maybe next year.

Canderson,

How did you forget your gonna be a pappa?????:) You got hunting fever BADD

I think the bull I took 2 years ago on this ranch went about 300 it was probably considered a cull.

I wish i could say sign me up but I just geared up to hunt in Utah this year and the wife don't want me to spend any more except for a few more items. But if this hunt is open next year I would love to go even just for the cow. I would like to bring the wife along also to hunt. This would be the bomb for her first BG animal and get two cows for meat. Eaten good. Plus the wifes family is in RioRancho NM. Thanks.

I am definitely interested in two spots. I see several "maybes" backing out. Do you know how many spots you have left? If we sign up for a cull bull, can we take a cow instead, if things don't work out? Can you be more specific on the location; nearest town, name of the ranch..? Any idea on success rate?

Papa45, If you get a cull bull tag you cannot exchange it for a cow tag. The ranch is an hour NW of Alburqurque. I know the owners name but not the name of the ranch. As far as I know everything is still definately a go, but cannot get a number on how many bull tags I can get. I cant reach my contact, but have left several voice messages. Since his phone is going straight to voice mail I assume he is in an area with no service. As soon as I get a call back I will send a PM to everyone listing all of the people on the list and requesting info from them on whether they want a cow or bull tag.

It would help if people would let me know whether they want a cow or bull, but until I can let them know what constitutes a cull bull I can understand not picking. In fact I am up in the air myself, but am probably just going to shoot a cow and spend the rest of the time shooting rocks or helping other hunters fill tags.

I can't commit at this time. I have been informed that unless someone takes my archery spot that I will be out my deposit, which seems fair, but I really can't afford two hunts this year.

If the outfitter says that he has a taker then I'll see if you still have a spot for me.
Thanks.

edge.

Eddybo, I haven't seen a new post here in a couple of days. Is this hunt still on? How many tags, total, are available for this ranch? How many hunters will be on the ranch during the dates you mentioned?

Papa45,

The hunt is still on. I have not been able to reach my contact. Has season started in NM? When I cant reach him I know he is usually at the ranch. I know he was supposed to be going on an Ibex hunt, but not sure of the dates so that may explain it. I have hunted with him in the past and am sure that he would have contacted me had something gone awry.

There will be a total of 20 people, probably less. I have 10 cow tags for certian, but hopefully have an option for 7 bull tags also. I need to speak with the guy to know what makes a cull so people can choose. As soon as i hear from him I will let you know. If I get with him soon enough I may be able to secure all 20 spots, looks like I may need them.

I just got of the phone with my buddy and am very disapointed. Apparently the ranch is held in a partnership that is being dissolved. They go to court on this first of next week. Apparently all of the tags are for the lower 1/2 of the ranch....guess which side it looks like they are getting. My buddy is trying to call the partner that will be getting the lower side of the ranch to see if the hunt can be done, while working with his employer the other litigant (who will be keeping the lodge) about us staying in the lodge.
I knew that we would only get to hunt 1/2 of the ranch but didnt know exactly why until just now. If anybody can get it together my friend can, but I am not sure it can be done. It appears the parties are so widely divided that each would injure themselves to spite the other. ( I cant say for sure that this is the case, but based on what I was just told it seems to be) He told me that he thought he could work the same deal with another of his employers, but they only have cow tags and the lodging is not even close to being as nice. He said he would try and find something comprable and let me know within a week.
I will not be going out on a limb with any hunts that I have not hunted the ranch. So if he comes up with something I will PM his contact info to anyone who posted any interest. He is a great guy who just got the rug pulled out from under him. I know he did a bunch of work with anticipation that this hunt would be his payoff. I am sure that he will probably get the shaft on that, even though he is an innocent bystander in the conflict between others. I will guarantee that this was beyond his control. If he comes up with something I will definately be going with at least 4 guys from VA and at least 1 from MS who I have already called and discussed this with.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.