Crow hunting

nelson

I have had a couple of the old timers tell me that an owl decoy will draw crows in. Even make them land and challenge the decoy, has anyone ever heard of this technique...

I know that our neighbor tried getting one to scare them off and they pecked the face off of it. They harrassed her and her dumb dog right up until the first day of crow season. 3 dead crows and the rest left the neighborhood.

right on well if they come in and sit still long enough maybe I can pick them off with the 223 if not I guess it's back to the old 3" 12 gauge, but the varmit gun is so much more spectacular

I do not know about rifle hunting but with remote control electronics maybe so.

With a shotgun you put the owl decoy on a stump or something low and put two crow decoys in low bushes and call and shoot. Works very well.

I know the real ones work up here on ravens. We had a Great Horned Owl show up at the worksite one day, I've never seen so many ravens all wound up in my life. They were doing everything possible to kill the owl. The owl killed a couple of the ravens but it didn't stop the ravens from coming in.

-John

John M
I gotta agree with ya using a rifle would be a blast!! Here in Wis. the DNR has a season on them(2 actually) and of coarse it's shotgun only, that bites.
Chris

I've never crow hunted. Although, there have been times while I was turkey hunting that I wanted to blast a few.
I don't even know what you can hunt them with in NY or even when the season is.

I was just thinking about the effect of an explosive bullet on a crow.

John M

Crows, eagles, hawks and owls are regulated under the Federal migratory bird treaty justy like ducks, geese and doves. Different states have slightly different provisons for crow hunting. Killing a hawk, owl, oprey or eagle will result in federal prosecution. Common penalties are confiscation of guns, vehicle, lifetime suspension of hunting privileges, several thousand dollars of fines and some months of jaill time.

Maryland has different days of the week open on crows and some days of the week closed. It is very hard to remember which days are legal to shoot crows. I ususally start with #6 shot and full choke but may go to #4s and extra full if they are a little skittish and won't come in close.

Literally and figuratively, I have eaten crow many times. I alawys eat the ones I shoot. Basically, if you fillet the breasts and then boil them in satly water for about 30 minutes they are good enough to take to work for lunch. Not gourmet food but it is something to chew on.

I've never though about crows in that way before. I was thinking more along the lines of varmint hunting.

You do realize that the majority of their diet is carrion, don't you? I will eat just about anything, but I don't think I could bring myself to eat crow. Although I have done it a few times, figuratively speaking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I thought crows just pecked the partially digested corn out of the cowpies.

Seriously, they taste about the same as dove. And I would rate them in taste above wild goose and better than some ducks and worse then some ducks.

I have tried gound hog three times but have never come up with any reasonable recipe. Maybe I need a sausage machine. Jack rabbit, I would cook up and use with cornmeal to feed my dog. She loved it. The reason I cooked it was to kill the tuleremia. You can freeze batches of it and thaw it in a microwave as a special treat for your dog after a hard day of hunting.

I wonder how prairie dog pot pie would be. Next time you and Lerch get out there launching those Amax's why don't you take a couple home and cook em up. I have never shot a pdog or else I would have tried it. Me and a friend got to shooting lizards off of rocks one day up in a meadow in the Rockies and wound up trying to roast a batch of em over a fire. That was a bad idea. Lizard is very bad tasting.

well just so you know here in Saskatchewan we can shot them any time as a matter of fact the farmers and acerage owners are usually more than happy to see them gone I got 2 yesterday it was a double never had that before I was driving down the grid road to my favorite pasture and noticed 2 sitting side by side about 75 yards out next to a scummy old cow pond.. Anyway shot the first one with the 223 and 50 gr vmax blew the first one right up wings one way body and head the other and the debris flying of the first one killed the second to. I tell ya crows and magpies just are not glued together well at all..

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.