Criterion or McGowen barrel for a savage build

mitchell

hello gentlemen,

not too long ago i told my wife i was going to buy a savage action for a build well some how i came home with two (hate when that happens), so ive got a new savage long action just sitting in my safe. my long range hunting experience up to now has only been on varmints and small (texas) deer. im deployed right now but after i return, this fall im PCSing to Ft carson colorado and would really like to take a try at some larger big game like mule deer and elk.

so with elk on the table i would really like one of the bigger 338's, which bring me to my question. i really have my heart set on a 338 edge but of the two barrel makers mcgrowen is the only place i can get it form because as far as i know cirterion doesn't make one. Criterion being the button rifling division of Krieger Barrels is a lot more well known then mcgrowen but the only 338 i can get in a savage pre-fit from them is 338 win mag.
so what do i do?

I've built two 338 Edges with McGowen tubes. Both were done by Sin Arms. One was purchased as a pre-fit from him, the other I supplied the barrel.

I have made a few edge barrels for Savages before, well maybe closer to 50 haha. I have used many of the Mcgowens, also have made quite a few Brux ones too. I am starting to use Shilen blanks now too.

Well, first and foremost, I would like to personally thank you sir for your service to our great country. I sincerely appreciate your dedication. Secondly, I know pretty much nothing about the Edge. Don't have one. Never shot one. But I DO know that the McGowan barrel that I put on my Savage 111 FCNS chambered in 7mmRM shoots great. It is a pleasure to clean and they got it to me in about six weeks from order to my front door. Good luck with your shooting.
Steve

Sinarms would be my first choice for this project. He chambered a Brux 7-300WSM for me with my reamer and the gun shoots outstanding.

For my money, I would stay away from the McGowen in favor of a Shilen or Brux or any of a list of others....I have had a couple McGowens and been a little underwhelmed with them, especially their quality control.

i was under the impression that sinarms only used lother walther barrel only, i didnt know they had other barrels , i know their pricing looked great compared to everybody else. i may have to look in to contacting them and see what they can do for me, im really wanting a 338 edge

im sorry sinarms i didn't even realize you were the second poster on this, i should read more before i posted. i sent you a email earlier today please disregard it you have already answered my questions . i'll be sending you an other email here soon hopefully we can work something out.

judging by your feedback from customers what brand would you prefer? im not dead set on criterion i just wanted to try something new. being that i would like to stay married i think brux might be out of my price range.

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.