crimping

canjaeger

crimping match bullets is it a no no
confused.gif
i crimp my fmj's knoch around ammo for my bolt gun with a lee fc
what about match what do you all think and why thanks
jaeger
grin.gif

Are there any match bullets that have a canneleur? I don't see how it'll enhance accuracy, probably change the "pull" tension on the case mouth and deform the bullet more than need be.

Best way to find out for sure is load some up, crimp some and leave others alone and run a test (long(er) range).

Dave,
I was told that the Federel Gold Medal .308 Win. round has a very slight amount of crimp - not sure it is visible but apparently it is done.
rolleyes.gif

Crimping is not just for .30-30's and 94 Winchesters, or mil spec ammo I guess.

I shoot a .300 WinMag. I also feed from the magazine, so I want the bullets to stay in place. I have gotten great results with the Redding Taper Crimp Die. Gives it a nice taper crimp, without mashing(technical term) the case mouth. No cannelure needed.

I don't crimp 'em too much, I adjust the die till it touches the case, plus about 3/4 turn.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die will give you as hard a crimp as you like, but it mashes the case mouth, making it thinner, and requiring trimming cases to length more often.

Many say a crimp is not conducive to best accuracy, I believe CONSISTENCY is the key. My results show very consistent velocities, and STELLAR accuracy.

By crimping, you ARE introducing another variable, so you have to pay attention. Any that don't "feel" right when crimping, I segregate, and use for foulers and coarse work, like whacking steel maidens, shooting offhand, etc.

To get a consistent crimp, your cases need to be trimmed to the same length. Hope this helps.

marc

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.