Creating more case capacity in the stock .338 RUM?

Just to let you all know, my Redding 338-300 dies are being heat treated right now, and I'm told they should ship by June 27th. I forgot to ask if they made more than one set, but if their smart, I assume they probably did.

did you get a full length, neck, or 3 die set?

also, can anyone tell me what the neck diameter is with a loaded round using rem or federal 300 brass, using the SMK 300? i'm interested in knowing what the neck wall thickness is after sizing up for 338 bullets.

Shawn,so your loaded rounds are only about .360? i've only heard from one, but reliable source, and they said without neck turning a loaded round was around .365.

Dave,

I am sorry I gave you incorrect info. I played with some neck thickness on some. Standard factory Remington or Federal loaded rounds with 300 SMK's .365" I use a .363" sizing button on neck sizing factory brass.

Shawn, thanks a bunch.reason i'm asking is because i'm leaning towards a forster FL die and have them make the neck to my request.i'm leaning towards 362 for a little room for clean up and spring back.i'm getting an ultra seater in 338ultra and Chris is going to punch the chamber reamer in the sleeve a bit.my chamber is min sammi and the seater chamber is a tad over max sammi.should help to hold the shell in better alignment when seating the bullet.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> I have had no concerns with quality brass in 300 Ultra up. I believe your best bet will be to get the new Nosler custom 300 ultra brass and neck up. Quite honestly I have had no problem getting them to shoot with Rem brass or any other. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Good info! Everyone was complaining about Rem brass and saying how great the Federal 300 RUM brass is, so I ordered the more expensive (primed) FC brass. It's prettier, little to zero culling; but after I prep the brass (outside neck turn with K&amp;M turner, uniform primers, debur), I can't see any difference at the range. I'll try the Nosler brass.

The 375 RUM kirby built me is a real tack driver (that kicks less than my .243 winny). Would [multi-step] necking up the best 300 brass to 375 work? The way the gun shoots with Rem brass, I don't see what I could gain. The 260gr Accubonds really do a number on boulders. I'll take it on my next gopher hunt and post pic's. I just shoot low and let the dirt/rock shrapnel do the rest.

Dave,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven't check in for a while.

The dies I ordered from Redding are FL.

They got here yesterday and are very nice! I'm hopefully going to find some time to try them out this weekend.

Devin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.