Creating a Tac Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)' started by jamaro, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jamaro

jamaro Well-Known Member

If this is in the wrong place sorry about that but I am not sure where is goes...

OK.. All this AR flying off the shelves really has me thinking.. I was thinking about breaking the back and getting a few but I started thinking... IF all hell does break loose I could get my hands on a AR so I am not worried about that, what I would rather do is spend that money on some solid firearm training... NOT some cheesy CCL class but a real training session... Maybe a week or so...

MY POINT is...
    I have an Rem 870 that I used for turkeys back in the day but now I am really looking at converting it from a hunter to a tactical weapon... BUT before I start my project I am looking for ideas???? Has anybody else done this? Any ideas???

Thanks
    J-
    PS.. I figure I could have a shotgun in every room of my house and it still be more cost effective that 1 AR...

2. kennygss

kennygss Well-Known Member

Just get a 18 or 20 inch barrel, you are in business.

3. timl

timl Well-Known Member

Check out magpuldynamics.com "art of the dynamic shotgun" video. It is worth watching, and will give you some ideas on setting up a "defensive" (I HATE that "T" word) shotgun.

4. jamaro

jamaro Well-Known Member

thank you

5. kennygss

kennygss Well-Known Member

Seriously, Robar, Scattergun tech all do great 870 work. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish really. The 870 is reliable. Training in its use as a defensive and offensive platform is money better spent than on the weap. They do jam. A shorter barrel, instruction and practice are always the first steps with the shotty.

6. threejones

threejones Well-Known Member

Started with a 870 wingmaster, added 18in barrel, extended mag tube, barrel/magtube clamp with sling attachment, Magpul collapsible stock, sidesaddle shell holder. Works like a champ, but it does slap ya around a bit. Helps me sleep peacefully at night.