Crazy Channelcats

Bowhunter57

This evening, the sky cleared, the water calmed and the fish were biting. I caught a few smallies, but they were too small to keep. Even so, they are always fun to catch.

The channelcats were huge! I lost one that flat out ignored the fact that he was hooked and he was headed for the other side of the planet.
smiley_beard.gif
After that one, I backed off on the drag and it paid off, as the next one was a 24" fish. The 22" channelcat was caught on a Rebel crawfish crankbait, but the 24" cat was caught on a Repala Original Floating Minnow.

To make the evening even more enjoyable, the sky was good company.
smiley_blink.gif

MetzgerSky.jpg

22" and 24" Channelcats.

VaporCats.jpg

VaporCats2.jpg

Bowhunter57

The madness continues...
smiley_crazy.gif
Trolling along the bank, in about 12' of water, minding my own business...when, WHAM a channelcat hits one of my lures. I have never caught my limit of anything, but as of today I can say I have.
smiley_bril.gif
As Jim Carey would say, "Somebody stop me!"
smiley_boogie.gif

6 Channelcats: 14", 2 - 18", 22", 24" and 26".

The stringer:

StringerofCats.jpg

The line up:

LineofCats.jpg

The filets:

TheFilets.jpg

Bowhunter57

Hello, Great catch!FUN!FUN!Good eatin!All on plugs? they were aggressive.I also enjoy channel cats on theDelaware River here in Jersey.This mild spell put the fishin afew weeks ahead of normal.good fishin,dzs

Dskiper said:
All on plugs?
Dskiper,
Yes, floating crankbaits...both shallow and deep runners. Mostly natural colors, but I've had my share of hits on black/chrome and blue/chrome colors too.

I troll with my kayak, keeping it parallel to the bank, while watching my fishfinder and trying to stay over any ledges or drop offs. I'll run the deep diver on the drop off side and the shallow runner between the bank and my kayak.

Channelcats aren't the only fish to hit these lures. Often I'll catch walleye, saugeye, crappie, smallmouth and sometimes the odd largemouth or pike.

Bowhunter57

Yes i think the kayak is agreat tool for fishing! I like the show on TV.He fiishes all over! If I were younger I'd loose some weight and buy one of the ocean kayaks.I need room to move or cramps will take over.I'm movin to Florida soon so bass lakes would be good for a kayak.Good channel catin in Florida,can't wait!! dzs

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.