Coyotes won't answer Howl

260shooter

Went out Saturday night and howled and or called eight different locations. No response to howls and at places that we called anyway nothing came in. Is there an explanation other than no coyotes in the area? this is premo coyote country. I expected to at least get a howl back in response.

Opinions please.

I'd say no coyotes around... with breeding season knocking on the door, howls and vocalizations are key right now.

They will answer and usually come on in right now to howls...

as long as you are doing it right or using a quality caller, it should work if they are in the area.

my .02

Last edited:
Some nights it is real good and they answer and others you can't get a coyote to tune up. The other question would be what kind of holws are you using? If your in an area of dispersal coyotes and you use to agressive of howls you may scare them off versus calling them in. I would use higher pitched female and young type howls see if that helps wit your calling, also mix in some distress they still need to eat and it also triggers the greed factor in some of those coyotes that a youngin came in and it is taking from my food stash!

like sndero man said ,give it another month when they start breeding and they should come in to just about any howl you throw at them. whats the food situation like in ur area. is there planty for them to eat? best thing right now would probly be ur plain ol rabbit distress if you have snow on the ground.

Calling here in central Illinois we have learned that quiet calls always seem to work the best. In fact, we kill most of them off a start-up lip squeek! We always start the stand with lip squeeks, then a small hand squeeker and finally the Fox Pro on low volume and up the volume as time goes by. I would guess that 75% of them are killed with the first two calls before we ever turn the Fox Pro on.

The terrain here is generally rolling and very brushy or flat open fields. I suspect the soft calls work the best because by default we are usually set-up close to the coyote to start with.

I never had a yote howl back but shot a few that snuck in to investigate. If I'm in a good location with fresh sign I'll let loose on a few challenge howls and drop to a wounded bird sound at a very low volume and wait for them to sneak in. I'll give these stands a solid thirty minutes sometimes longer before moving.

With coyotes there are no absolutes. Depending on when you were howling they may or may not respond back there are certains times when coyotes will not howl back they will just come in or not come in. I suggest first starting a stand with a non-aggressive greeting howl. Then I would throw a chanllenge howl after several minutes usually 10 then move on to a female invitation followed by puppy kiyi's. Keep in mind that coyote vocalizations usually require you to sit on a stand longer that a distress call. They have alot more urgency to come to a distress call. Usually when a coyote comes to vocalization they are being sneaky unless it is an alpha male coming to the call. Coyotes in the east don't how as much as coyote in the west and just because they are not howling back does not mean they are not there, it is a good way to locate coyotes but it is not a perfect way looking for poop and fresh tracks is more reliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts