Coyotes with a 17 mach 2?

For me, the ultimate coyote gun is my 6mm Remington or equivalent. Don't get me wrong. My 220 Swift will tear a dog in pieces if the 52 Grain Match King Hits bone. However, coyotes seldom present a perfect shot. 22 calibers and smaller have a real tough time getting through a sagebrush. That being said, an 80 grain out of a 6mm/243 will get the job done. It will also have less wind drift to boot.

I'm comfortable that the .17m2 will do the job out to around 50 yards. Just be real selective with shots and don't hit any bone - go for lungs, eye, etc., depending on the angle of the shot.

Of course there are much better rounds - like .204, .223, etc. You don't need/want a bullet over 50 grains inside of 300 yards unless it's windy - it's just overkill and unnecessary pelt damage. If you want to shoot them at 300+ then get a fast twist .22 caliber centerfire or step up to the .243, or .25 and launch something over 65 grains with a good BC that'll buck the wind better.

Sure, you can go bigger, but it's not much fun trout fishing with a surf-casting rod. :)

I use the 17 mach 2 on three pound praire dogs out to about 100 yards but for a 30 pound coyote no way unless it was within 25 yards. The little 17 Gr bullet with a muzzle velocity at 2,100 ft/sec and the 17 Gr bullet out of a 17 HMR at 2,550 ft/sec are not good coyote hunting rounds. The centerfire 17 Fireball puts a 25 Gr bullet out at 3850 ft/sec with the 17 Remington a bit faster which would be the smallest cartridges I would use for yote hunting. My yote rifles for the wide open country I hunt in are a 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, and 243 Winchester.

I have killed 5 coyotes with my 17 mach 2. Not first second third or even fourth choice but its what I had when I saw them. Results are:

2- Bang flops (I was in shock also)
2- Bang ....mad 100-150yrd dash and cartwheel
1- 14 rounds 9 hits before he was done.

Take a good broadside shot and grenade a lung.. Yote might make a dash but will pile up in a hurry. That being said 100yrds is about as far as you want to push it. The one that took the 9rds was at 125 the first shot.

As other mentioned the 22 Mag is a far better coyote killer. 17mach 2 will work though just hit them in the lungs.

Last edited:
CUTTY- how many coyotes have you shot ??. do not "just get a savage". get a remington 700 varmint 243.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.