Coyotes morning or evening?

dawg4life

When you guys hunt do you see more sucess in early morning sun-up till about 10 a.m. or in the late evening 5p.m. till dark? I know hunting at night can be effective also but I was just wondering when chances are best to get a coyote morning vs evening

This time of year I've seen more in the morning than in the evening. I have also had success using the info from the pass shooting coyotes article. On sunday I went to an old hot spot that seemed to be dry due to too many hunters educating coyotes. I went early and saw 4 dogs in a clearing that I used to call in. I missed one at 789 yards I had dialed for 750 it was 744 when I originaly ranged it set up and left the rangefinder in the truck so I couldn't re-range before the shot. So I went back on Thursday morning and as I was glassing the same area I got the feeling I was looking too far took the binos off my face and caught the last one going into some bear grass at 310 yards. I never saw it come out and did not call because I want to go back in and try getting them at long range so I left as quietly as I went in. Ive gone out 5 times this year 2 mornings, 2 evenings, and 1 time midday (10-3 it had snowed the night before and part of the morning that day).

I would have to say mornings usually put up the best numbers for me. It really depends on a few factors. Temp is a big one. Obviously colder the better. Also if they are feeding on dead animals or if they have to be out working for a meal. Cold weather has been known to make a coyote have to travel beyond its normal boundries to get a meal. Same goes for mating season. (coming soon) But, just two days ago I called one in first thing in the morning and then nothing. Then around 12:30-2:00 I dropped one more and saw 2 others out hunting that I never got a shot at. So you never really no. Thats why I try to go all day!:D

I don't roll out to early but hit it hard mid morning through mid day. The only time I really hit early morning is if I'm in a new area and need to locate. I read a coyote study done at a sheep experimental station and they found coyotes most active around the 10:00ish range. I usually start around 8-9 o'clock and call till 3-4 o'clock.

Statistically I have done better after 0900 to about 1100 or so. That said, I have shot coyotes and had them come well to the call at all hours.
I like the first hour or so after the sun comes up just because of all the activity then from bunnies, birds etc. It stands to reason then that it would be easier for the coyotes to hunt then too.
Mark

Sounds like morning has it.... what is a good call to use? yea I'd love to have a fox pro but thats not gonna happen. $75 or less is my limit. I been looking at the Johnny Stewart Attractor and I migh get one. I hunt in the mountains so extreme long range isn't a big factor. Does anybody know a good call for that amount and where to buy it from?

You dont need a Foxpro to kill coyotes. Foxpros and electronics are overrated and over hyped. (clever marketing will do that). They arent a magic bullet and dont make it any easier.

Get yourself a $15 open reed mouth call and have at it.

i mostly hand call and use the johny stewart attractor and a rudolph red nose reindeer stuffed animal for a decoy, i set the attractor and decoy in the top of a tall sagebrush about 50 yards out and turn it on just over half volume but i dont use it yet, i start the stand out with a quiet cottontail distress, a few blows and stop for about 30 seconds looking for close movement, if nothing, start quiet again for about 15-20 seconds, then take a minute to look around and if nothing still, i get a little louder and a little more excited, but not really all that loud us is really loud to a coyote, look listen, if he is within 300 yards, i stop the hand call and turn on the attractor and watch the coyote get a visual on the decoy and not me he will run right up to it about 2 yards away mostly and give it a confused look, during that confused look is a great time for clean shot placement, this has been working for me in heavily called areas in the morning is better ,but works just before sundown also.

Get a coyote decoy from Montana decoys, the Kojo works real good, I've killed a pile of dogs running dead at it, next best thing to a dog. Having a visual for them helps to keep them from thinking the situation over :D

Interesting question. I just had a discussion with a friend that put on a coyote derby last weekend. He had data on 36 coyotes. Most were shot between midnight and 10 a.m. The catch is that we've only been freezing up at night then we thaw during the day. We feel the coyotes just don't like traveling in the mud any better than we do. May or may not be the reason but the trend seem to hold on this hunt in this weather.

As far as a call, I agree that you can kill a lot of coyotes with n open reed call. One of the best for the money as far as tone and ease of use is Kerry Carvers Production call. It's only $12.95 and sounds on par with his custom wood calls. Here's a link.

NO OFF SEASON - Rabid Rabbit Pro

It'll do excellent distress and most of your howls. Nice little call. I use a call with the same reed and tone board for the bulk of my hand calling.

tt

I hunt mostly in the mornings just because I have more confidence in that time ftom sun up till 11:00. I am fortunate enough to be hunting the missouri river valey in north Missouri, so any time of day is pretty good. As for the question of the atractor calls, I have preditor 1 and 2 and love them. The only reason I can see spending more is for the added remote range you get with the bigger ones. For more calling range throw in a hand call for added volume when needed.

Hand call will always be around my neck when I'm hunting...I'll run the e caller at low volume, crank it up later and then finish with a hand call in every direction real loud.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.