Coyotes effecting Whitetails?

7mmSendaro,
I talked to a shooting/hunting buddy back in NC on Friday who seems to be going through the same thng. The have a long season there (07Sept-01Jan approx) and he has only seen/killed one small buck. They are allowed 6 deer there. Two years ago he was complaining about all the black bears on his hunting lease. They can't be any good for the deer population either. JohnnyK.

We have a weekend of gun hunting next weekend, then a late doe season in mid Januray. I was planning to wait until after the January season to go after the yotes to keep from spooking the deer any more than necessary. However, there don't seemt to be any deer to spook!

Guess I'll go after them after next weekend.

7mmSendaro,
I talked to a shooting/hunting buddy back in NC on Friday who seems to be going through the same thng. The have a long season there (07Sept-01Jan approx) and he has only seen/killed one small buck. They are allowed 6 deer there. Two years ago he was complaining about all the black bears on his hunting lease. They can't be any good for the deer population either. JohnnyK.

JohnnyK

Your friend must hunt in the eastern part of the state. I am in the east and I hear stories of coyotes all the time. I have been told that lots of the folks with fox pens(for dog trials) have brought in the coyotes so they have something for the hounds to run. Coyotes or Bears, not sure which I would prefer to have as they both will destroy deer populations, however coyotes don't generally have the desire to kill/hunt people.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.